Microsoft Too Human
Almost 10 years in the making, Too Human has seen its fair share of development troubles.
- Absorbing mix of melee and gunplay, unbelievable depth to character and equipment customisation, online co-op, tons of gorgeous gear
- Senselessly long resurrection time, difficulty and balance issues, crappy automatic camera, uncooperative ballistics targeting, worthless cyberspace sequences
No, it's not perfect but it's still pretty damn fun.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
First announced for the original Playstation, moved to the GameCube and ultimately finding a home on the Xbox 360, Too Human has been a lightening rod for criticism and controversy. But, as the old saying goes, the proof is in the pudding, and while it's not perfect, Too Human definitely has enough going for it to silence its critics.
It may look like a straightforward action game with an RPG twist, but the truth about the opening chapter of Silicon Knight's planned trilogy is much stranger. Here's an Xbox 360 exclusive that proudly wears its lofty ambitions on its sleeves, and yet sometimes seems bent on self-sabotage. That it's so relentlessly addictive despite its aggravations is something of a minor miracle.
Gods and Monsters
Too Human takes the rich world of Norse mythology and catapults it into a distant future where bloodthirsty machines stalk humanity, and even cybernetically enhanced gods like the Aesir struggle to keep the ravenous flesh shredders at bay. Why are the machines so intent on harvesting our meaty bits? As the youngest and least augmented member of the clan, Baldur might seem like an odd choice to lead an expeditionary force to the ancient Hall of Heroes to investigate, but between his amnesia and the death of his wife, the guy's got a drive that self-important thugs like Thor lack.
Baldur maybe a little bland and walks around like he's got something pointy in his boots but put a crowd of enemies in front of him and he suddenly turns into an Olympic speed-skater. With simple rotations of the analog sticks, you can send Baldur flying across the screen like an angry hornet, doling out punishment with bright sparks and the satisfying clank of metal on metal. The combat system is pretty slick, letting you launch guys into the air and then juggle them with gunfire to rack up combo points for devastating "ruiner" attacks, or leap up to get out of the fray and bash them silly. I personally loved every minute of it. The targeting system is less helpful when using guns because it stubbornly "sticks" to one particular enemy when you're frantically trying to target another, but the action is intense and enjoyable nonetheless.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW