Microsoft Student 2006
If you're buying a PC so your kids can use it for school work, you'll get a lot out of this package.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
This companion to Microsoft Office is designed to help school kids research and write up coursework with the maximum efficiency. Put together in concert with the national curriculum, it covers topics for both primary and secondary schools.
It provides guidance about how to study effectively, what's expected for any assignment you might be set, plus resources such as an encyclopedia and an onscreen graphing calculator.
You can use the latter to work out everything from simultaneous equations and statistical probability to the relationships between properties for physics and chemistry experiments. And, as with the rest of this package, you get useful context-sensitive help.
Fire up Learning Essentials for Students to access templates and tips. Select one and you'll be taken to a special version of Word (or Excel or PowerPoint) with all the accessories you'll need. To change the sort of assistance required you select from the Student Tools drop-down menu. Student 2006 harnesses the web, directing pupils to data. In the main this draws on the MSN Encarta encyclopedia but external information sources have also been used.
You need to have Office XP or 2003, as well as a DVD drive. You can then install either the standard reference content or add Children's Encarta. And there's a browser toolbar that finds content from Encarta online. Purchasing Student 2006 gives you updates and access to Encarta until late 2006.
Undoubtedly useful, Microsoft Student 2006 is optimised for use with the latest iteration of Office. Because of this, many families otherwise happy with the version of that suite they've already got will miss out or need to upgrade. There's a wealth of information and useful pointers to the Encarta encyclopedia it draws on. The licence allows you to use it on up to three PCs.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
- Panasonic pushes buttons with smart home prototypes at SXSW
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTSQL Server DBA- 2016 RDBMS, SSIS, SRS, Certified DBANSW
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst Programmer - Financial - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistSA
- FTCisco Network Engineer (FIFO)WA
- CCBusiness Analyst Digitalisation projectsQLD
- CCSenior Developer - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTImplementation LeadVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Accounting SoftwareNSW
- FTSenior Developer/DevOpsVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTInside Sales Consultants - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- FTTest ManagerWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - General InsuranceNSW
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- TPIT Business Analyst (UX Design)NSW
- FTSAP Payroll and Time ConsultantVIC
- FTIT Business Process Analyst x 3 - (government background)NSW
- TPJunior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- TPSQL Server Developer | 3 month contract |NSW