If you'd love to compose a song but don't know how to write music, Microsoft's Songsmith music-creation software could be just the ticket.
- A breeze to use
- A bit limited for creating professional-quality tunes
Microsoft Songsmith is designed for those who love composing songs but don't have the knack of playing musical instruments. It's a bit limited for creating professional-quality tunes but, as far as we understand, this app wasn't meant for experts. Songsmith is far more suitable for amateur singers or for family entertainment. It has all the needed tools to quickly create music for your song, easily and without serious musical skills (although a bit of singing skill helps). For something that's still being developed by Microsoft Research, and is a completely new concept, it worked flawlessly and without much difficulty.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
If you'd love to compose a song but don't know how to write music, Microsoft's Songsmith music-creation software could be just the ticket. Songsmith helps you create original music for a song that you've composed by adding instrumental accompaniment. This new concept seems to have captured everybody's imagination, so we put Microsoft Songsmith to the test.
The interface and features set
One of the many things we liked about Microsoft Songsmith was how easy it is to use. It's designed in such a way that even people with limited tech know-how can start playing around without much of a struggle.
The first time you fire up Microsoft Songsmith, the song starter window guides you through your first step of song creation. Here you'll be given the choice of selecting a song style from among the 30 provided (rock, hip-hop, pop, dance and so on). You can buy more styles online by clicking on the Get More Styles button.
Next step is to set the tempo. The interface has an intuitive feel to it with large buttons and tabs and most of the tools for editing your song are placed in one convenient place — the main working area.
Creating the music
With the emphasis on ease of use, it wasn't hard to start creating our own songs. It was as easy as clicking on the Record button, then belting out a number to the drum backing track. At the end of the recording, the song is played back with suitable musical instruments accompaniment.
There's no doubt that the software was a breeze to use, but after playing around with it we found that the result depends upon the quality of the singing too; Songsmith didn't throw up impressive results if the singing was out of tune or not sung to a strong rhythm. If the song isn't sung properly, it may not do a good job of providing the music.
Editing the song after recording consists of changing the style and the chords per bar, and adjusting the Happy/Jazzy bar to fine-tune the mood of the song. Remember that the tempo cannot be modified once the song is recorded. If you're comfortable with adjusting the instruments being played, clicking on the Mixer button will give you more options to tweak around with your song. Here you can select the individual instrument track (drum, bass, piano, guitar and strings) that you want in the song, the style mood can even be set here (Light or Lively). As with the styles, you can buy more instruments online.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCEnterprise Data Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCSAP BW Hana DeveloperVIC
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCSolution Architect - IntegrationSA