Microsoft Security Essentials (beta)
This is set-it-and-forget-it software that handles the basic dangers, but doesn't try to compete with big-boy security suites
- Free, easy to use, none of the software bloat and slow performance that bedevilled OneCare
- Still only in beta, yet to be put through its paces by antivirus labs
Microsoft Security Essentials — even in beta form — appears to be a success. It's exceedingly simple to use, takes up few system resources and doesn't cost anything. Those who want fuller-featured security suites that do backups and other functions, or who want to be able to tweak their protection levels in more detail, will look elsewhere.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
How safe does it keep you?
Until Security Essentials is put through its paces by antivirus labs, there's no definitive way to know how it stacks up against other applications. However, it shares the same engine and signatures as other Microsoft anti-malware products, including OneCare, the enterprise-focused Forefront and the monthly Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. Therefore, looking at how OneCare compares should give some kind of guidance.
In its earliest days, OneCare did not perform impressively in anti-malware tests, but over time that has changed. It now ranks near the top of security software, according to the independent AV-Comparatives website. The site regularly tests antivirus tools, and its latest tests of 16 applications, done in May, ranks OneCare as only one of three tools given the top Advanced+ designation (the other two were Kaspersky and ESET NOD32). It also tied for second place for its proactive detection of new malware and was the only software rated as giving very few false alarms.
The bottom line
In its reviewer's guide, the Microsoft says that "a surprising number of consumer PCs remain unprotected" against malware, although it offers no numbers. There are several reasons that consumers don't protect themselves, according to Microsoft. They are confused by the trial offers that come pre-installed on their PCs and by annual subscription fees. Heavy security suites slow down PCs and so people don't want to use them. Finally, some people simply aren't willing to pay for security.
Microsoft also notes that in "emerging markets," credit isn't always easy to come by, and so people can't pay for annual subscriptions using credit cards the way they do in countries such as the United States.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- A critical flaw in Symantec antivirus engine puts computers at risk of easy hacking
- Malware attacks on two banks have links with 2014 Sony Pictures hack
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- FTProject Manager - IT Technology / Site RelocationsNSW
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- CCNetwork ArchitectNSW
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW