Microsoft Messenger 7
Microsoft has announced its new free Messenger 7.0 software, releasing the final product along with the finished version of an online scrapbook service it has been testing, MSN Spaces.
With MSN Messenger 7.0, Microsoft wants to equal and better other IM software through its own free PC-to-PC video calls for users with a Web cam, in addition to free voice calls. The video call feature uses technology from Web cam maker Logitech to synchronise audio and video streams. Users can watch a video in the Messenger window or get up close and personal in full-screen mode. We also liked that in addition to including a variety of interface improvements, MSN Messenger 7.0 also now lets users search chats, automatically let people know what they're listening to, trade scribbled notes, send new flash-based winks, nudges and more. Microsoft also plans to incorporate a feature in coming months that will allow Messenger users to send messages to friends' mobile phones.
MSN Spaces, an online scrapbook, lets users post blogs, photo albums, music lists and other personalised information. Introduced in beta form in December, MSN Spaces now offers more storage space - allowing users to post around 750 photos - and a variety of backgrounds and personalisation options.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCFunctional Consultant - MS Dynamics AXQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL) 161018/AP/812Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Web) 161011/AP/145Asia
- CCJava Developers - Federal Government experienceNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSnr Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Application SupportSA
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation) 161031/ITA/541Asia
- CCL1 Desktop Support - 3 days a weekNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 161019/JP/552Asia
- CCFront End Developer (UI) - 12 Month ContractNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTJava Script, Frontend Developer- DynamoDB or MongoDBNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161020/ITA/652Asia
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTSr. Insight SpecialistVIC
- FT.Net CRM Dynamics Developer LeadVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTTest ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Marketing Automation)NSW