Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus
- It can perform a full restore of the system, encrypts backup, easy to use
- Only keeps a synchronised copy of what's been backed up and not the files that have been deleted off your system
As an external hard drive the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus storage drive is solid, but add in the backup features of the OneTouch system and you have a first-class backup device.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
While the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus can be used simply as an external storage device connected to a PC via USB, the true benefit comes from its software and OneTouch system to create a well-configured backup device.
Maxtor's backup software auto-installs from the device itself, and can be configured for most any need. The software can automatically back up files and folders, or let you choose which drives, folders or files you want to back up, and when.
The Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus also can perform a full restore of the system, which includes all files to recover to a previous point in time on your PC.
This is a huge benefit over some other off-the-shelf products that can protect your data, but may still require you to install your software should you face a major malfunction or virus.
On-demand backup is as easy as pressing the button on the front of the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus device.
While this lends itself to the less-technically savvy, it still has some great features for the more serious user, including an encryption system to password protect your data.
One drawback is that the backup appears to only maintain a synchronised copy of what you choose to back up, it doesn't keep copies of files that you've deleted from your system. Note: The price above is for the 250GB version and is the cheapest model available.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCData Integration specialistACT
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCHigh Severity Incident ManagerVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC