Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini
- OneTouch button, Maxtor Manager software, size
- Not e-SATA
A very useful drive for the tech-savvy and not so tech-savvy alike. If you like to share data, or simply need to access two computers regularly you'll find this very handy.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Maxtor's OneTouch 4 Mini is a simple device that's made quite useful with some basic but helpful software. This small, dare we say, funky looking portable hard drive is a great option and a must have for regular users of multiple PCs or those wishing to share their data wealth with friends and colleagues. The OneTouch name comes from a single button on the enclosure, which instantly performs a task you've allocated, such as a backup or synchronisation, but more on that later.
The OneTouch 4 Mini's compact enclosure (124x81x15mm) only weighs around 167g and is so slim it hardly leaves any room for the internal circuits and cabling that it must invariably have. This particular model has a 160GB hard drive but the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini is also available in 80GB and 120GB formats.
Beyond the drive itself, nothing else is really required, except of course for a USB cable which is supplied. The Maxtor Manager software is on the drive itself, so you won't even need a disc to install it from. Beyond the general purpose of data transport or storage it's this software which makes the drive so useful.
Maxtor Manager is an amalgamation of several applications, including backup, synchronisation and security features. The backup side of things is split into two categories; file backup and SafetyDrill. SafetyDrill is essentially ghosting software, allowing you to make a complete backup of your hard drive. This feature is ideal in the event of a worst-case scenario-type problem, such as a hard drive crash or virus, allowing you to restore your entire system to exactly the way it was when you made the backup. It's a lengthy process, and is therefore an irregular backup for important incremental changes.
The other backup is for your individual files only, helping you keep documents, music and other important files safe from any number of possible problems. This section is divided into two options; simple and custom. The simple backup only saves your My Documents folder, while the custom backup allows you to select the folders you'd like to have protected. This won't take nearly as long as the SafetyDrill and can be done daily to ensure the security of your files.
The other key feature of the software is the synchronisation tool. Again, this tool has a simple or custom option. At the end of the day you can hit synchronise and the software will synchronise the files on your PC to the OneTouch. Then, when you get home just hit synchronise again and Bob's your uncle.
Your OneTouch button can be set to run any one of these features. It doubles as the hard drive activity light and is clearly visible day and night. It's very easy to use. For instance, set it to do a simple backup, make sure you save all important files into the My Documents folder, then, quite simply, at the end of a busy session at work, school or university just hit the OneTouch button and the backup gets underway without having to mess around with the software at all.
The drive can also be setup with a password, plus you can have the OneTouch encrypt all files for further security. No power cable is included as the OneTouch 4 Mini draws its power from the USB cable. The cable has two USB ports for the PC, in case the port is not powered; it's able to draw enough power from two non-powered ports to run.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- FTService Delivery AnalystNSW
- TPMaster Portfolio SchedulerVIC
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorQLD
- CCIT Information ArchitectNSW
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- FTField Engineer - Hardware RolloutsNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD
- TP.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior SQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTICT Transformation Integration ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTGeospatial Data AnalystVIC
- FTAudio Visual / Video Solution Architect | $100 p/hrVIC
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- TPIntermediate Change ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- CCUser ResearchNSW
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- TPTechnical Support Officer (Unix/Linux, Windows and Mac)VIC