Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini
- OneTouch button, Maxtor Manager software, size
- Not e-SATA
A very useful drive for the tech-savvy and not so tech-savvy alike. If you like to share data, or simply need to access two computers regularly you'll find this very handy.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Maxtor's OneTouch 4 Mini is a simple device that's made quite useful with some basic but helpful software. This small, dare we say, funky looking portable hard drive is a great option and a must have for regular users of multiple PCs or those wishing to share their data wealth with friends and colleagues. The OneTouch name comes from a single button on the enclosure, which instantly performs a task you've allocated, such as a backup or synchronisation, but more on that later.
The OneTouch 4 Mini's compact enclosure (124x81x15mm) only weighs around 167g and is so slim it hardly leaves any room for the internal circuits and cabling that it must invariably have. This particular model has a 160GB hard drive but the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini is also available in 80GB and 120GB formats.
Beyond the drive itself, nothing else is really required, except of course for a USB cable which is supplied. The Maxtor Manager software is on the drive itself, so you won't even need a disc to install it from. Beyond the general purpose of data transport or storage it's this software which makes the drive so useful.
Maxtor Manager is an amalgamation of several applications, including backup, synchronisation and security features. The backup side of things is split into two categories; file backup and SafetyDrill. SafetyDrill is essentially ghosting software, allowing you to make a complete backup of your hard drive. This feature is ideal in the event of a worst-case scenario-type problem, such as a hard drive crash or virus, allowing you to restore your entire system to exactly the way it was when you made the backup. It's a lengthy process, and is therefore an irregular backup for important incremental changes.
The other backup is for your individual files only, helping you keep documents, music and other important files safe from any number of possible problems. This section is divided into two options; simple and custom. The simple backup only saves your My Documents folder, while the custom backup allows you to select the folders you'd like to have protected. This won't take nearly as long as the SafetyDrill and can be done daily to ensure the security of your files.
The other key feature of the software is the synchronisation tool. Again, this tool has a simple or custom option. At the end of the day you can hit synchronise and the software will synchronise the files on your PC to the OneTouch. Then, when you get home just hit synchronise again and Bob's your uncle.
Your OneTouch button can be set to run any one of these features. It doubles as the hard drive activity light and is clearly visible day and night. It's very easy to use. For instance, set it to do a simple backup, make sure you save all important files into the My Documents folder, then, quite simply, at the end of a busy session at work, school or university just hit the OneTouch button and the backup gets underway without having to mess around with the software at all.
The drive can also be setup with a password, plus you can have the OneTouch encrypt all files for further security. No power cable is included as the OneTouch 4 Mini draws its power from the USB cable. The cable has two USB ports for the PC, in case the port is not powered; it's able to draw enough power from two non-powered ports to run.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
- Intel's new SSDs are advance scouts for NVMe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Payroll Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- CCScrum MasterACT
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- FTManager, Applications SpecialistNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- FTProject Manager - Web ContentVIC
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW