Maxtor One Touch III
- Large capacity, Dual interface
- Software too technical for some
A competitive back up solution from Maxtor, that has something for everyone.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The OneTouch III family of hard drives continues the Maxtor reputation for producing large capacity external drives, suitable for home users, advanced users and small businesses.
While its predecessor, the OneTouch II was finished in silver, it's clear Maxtor have taken some trouble with the design of the newer model. Our review unit, the dual interface Firewire 400/USB2.0 model, was finished in a rather odd looking pale green, with rubberized outer edges. On the front is a large button, backlit in a rather bright white light. (We found this light flashed when the drive was in use, and as it was so big, it soon became very distracting.) At the back of the unit is the USB 2.0 port, two Firewire ports and the power sockets. Styling is really a matter of personal preference, and while the OneTouch III isn't as innovative as the OneTouch II, which required a stand, and couldn't stand upright without it. The OneTouch III can sit either vertically or horizontally, as you choose, without the need for any accompaniment. In fact if you need to, you could no doubt stack multiple drives on top of each other. Bucking the trend against miniaturization, this unit is larger and slightly heavier than its predecessor. While the OneTouch III is technically classified as 'portable' storage, we think it's more suited to being placed on a desk, rather than carted around with a notebook.
The Maxtor OneTouch III is plug and play and requires no software to simply be used as an external drive. Within minutes after taking it out of the box, we had the drive hooked up and were transferring files. For specific backup and settings operations, the unit ships with Dantz Retrospect Express 1.1 and Maxtor One Touch Manager. It took less than five minutes to install both of these programs. (For more details on the Retrospect software, we recommend you check out our OneTouch II review.)
The OneTouch Manager software is a little different to the software that shipped with the OneTouch II, although many of the options are the same. You can for example, set Power saving settings, configure the OneTouch button or change the performance level of the drive. From the Manager screen, you can also schedule backups, restore data and perform rollback operations. One other interesting feature that caught our eye was 'Synchronise'. This allows you to specify certain folders that whatever changes you make will be automatically mirrored on the drive - very useful for backing up My Documents for example. If you're worried about security, the OneTouch III allows you to set a password which locks the drive.
Specifications wise, the OneTouch III is very similar to the OneTouch II. While our review model came with a 500GB hard drive, the speed (7200RPM), seek time and sustained transfer rate were about the same as the II.
The Maxtor OneTouch III is available in sizes of 200GB, 300GB and 500GB with a USB2.0 connection, a dual interface USB2.0 and Firewire 400 model or a triple interface USB2.0, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 model.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- FTSAP Ariba Consultant/ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW