Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - 300GB
Maxtor DiamondMax 10
- Fluid dynamic bearings, Quiet, High transfer rates
- None to speak of.
While not only being a quality product, the diamondmax range has the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Maxtor's DiamondMax 10 hard drives greatly impressed us with their superb performances and low noise emissions.
They are definitely a far cry from the DiamondMax 9 range of drives, which we have found to be slow and noisy. Capacities for the Diamondmax 10 drives start at 80GB, and all the drives in the range feature a spin speed of 7200rpm. Drives up to 200GB have an 8MB cache buffer. Larger drives have a 16MB cache buffer.
The Maxtor DiamondMax 10 has fluid dynamic bearings, which improves the longevity of the drives and reduces their noise. All DiamondMax 10 drives also support native command queuing (NCQ).
NCQ rearranges data requests from applications to increase access efficiency. Its function is to organise seek operations so that they occur in a more logical order, minimising the time it takes for the drive heads to go from one request to another.
In this review, we looked at the 160GB, 200GB and 300GB DiamondMax 10 drives.
When it comes to moving massive amounts of data, the DiamondMax 10 range is nearly unbeatable. The 300GB drive, in particular, with its 16MB cache buffer produced an incredible file transfer rate of 1.059GB per minute! We were also pleased to note that its temperature during testing did not exceed 44 degrees.
The smaller capacity drives also fared very well, with the 200GB managing 932MB per minute, with a maximum running temperature of 41 degrees. The 160GB drive achieved 935MB per minute with a maximum running temperature of 40.8 degrees.
Noise was not an issue for any of the three drives; we could barely hear them at all during our tests.
What's interesting about these DiamondMax 10 drives is that, apart from having advanced features such as NCQ and in some cases up to 16MB cache buffers, they also had, at the time of testing, the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC