Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - 300GB
Maxtor DiamondMax 10
- Fluid dynamic bearings, Quiet, High transfer rates
- None to speak of.
While not only being a quality product, the diamondmax range has the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Maxtor's DiamondMax 10 hard drives greatly impressed us with their superb performances and low noise emissions.
They are definitely a far cry from the DiamondMax 9 range of drives, which we have found to be slow and noisy. Capacities for the Diamondmax 10 drives start at 80GB, and all the drives in the range feature a spin speed of 7200rpm. Drives up to 200GB have an 8MB cache buffer. Larger drives have a 16MB cache buffer.
The Maxtor DiamondMax 10 has fluid dynamic bearings, which improves the longevity of the drives and reduces their noise. All DiamondMax 10 drives also support native command queuing (NCQ).
NCQ rearranges data requests from applications to increase access efficiency. Its function is to organise seek operations so that they occur in a more logical order, minimising the time it takes for the drive heads to go from one request to another.
In this review, we looked at the 160GB, 200GB and 300GB DiamondMax 10 drives.
When it comes to moving massive amounts of data, the DiamondMax 10 range is nearly unbeatable. The 300GB drive, in particular, with its 16MB cache buffer produced an incredible file transfer rate of 1.059GB per minute! We were also pleased to note that its temperature during testing did not exceed 44 degrees.
The smaller capacity drives also fared very well, with the 200GB managing 932MB per minute, with a maximum running temperature of 41 degrees. The 160GB drive achieved 935MB per minute with a maximum running temperature of 40.8 degrees.
Noise was not an issue for any of the three drives; we could barely hear them at all during our tests.
What's interesting about these DiamondMax 10 drives is that, apart from having advanced features such as NCQ and in some cases up to 16MB cache buffers, they also had, at the time of testing, the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- FT.Net Solutions DeveloperSA
- FTData Analyst - Tableau and Power BI suiteNSW
- FTJava Developer - Short team Contract @ CanberraVIC
- TPAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- FTEDRMS Officers roles - APS3/APS4/AP6ACT
- FTNetwork Services ManagerQLD
- FTProgram L&D Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Performance AnalystQLD
- CCInfosphere ConsultantACT
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCLead SAP SRM DeveloperACT
- FTICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip organisationNSW
- FTOracle DeveloperACT
- TPAgile Project Manager. Lean ProductivityNSW
- TPSAP Data Migration LeadQLD
- FTIT Security Team LeadNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTService Desk ConsultantACT
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- FTCloud Infrastructure Specialist - Azure/AWSNSW
- FTSolution Designer/ Technical LeadSA