Manaccom Corporation Ringtone Studio 2
- Simple, cheap
- We encountered many errors during use of the software
The main advantages this application offers is that it's cheap and simple, but are almost lost in frustration of getting it to work. Assuming the patches will sort out the bugs, this could be a great option for heavy mobile users with an ever evolving desire for new ringtones, but be aware of the potential frustration.
Price$ 30.00 (AUD)
Philosopher Rene Descartes once said "I think therefore I am", however it is something very far from thought that defines us today. In fact, the artist Andy Warhol probably said it better when he said "I am a deeply superficial person". Clothes, music and technology all give an outward impression of who we are, but nothing says 'this is me' better, especially to the person next to you on the bus, than a loud, in-your-face ringtone.
However, with all the phones in the world there just aren't enough default ringtones to set you aside from the pack, which is where a software package like Manaccom's Ringtone Studio 2 comes into play. It's a very basic package that allows you to import sounds or songs and export them to your phone via a number of transfer methods, such as infrared, Bluetooth, USB or WAP. Ringtone Studio 2 will export a few file formats, including WAV, MP3 and SMAF/MMF.
It's true that many phones these days will simply download MP3s you've created on your PC and set them as a ringtone. However, if you want something a little fancier, perhaps a series of quotes from your favourite movie or TV show, and you're not especially computer literate, Ringtone Studio 2 is an option. In fact, Ringtone Studio 2's packaging and online press material say the product is "buffoon" friendly, catering for everyone.
It's a simple application with simple means. You can take any CD, audio file or audio source on your PC and import it to Ringtone Studio 2, including MP3s or even your own voice. Once the audio is imported you see it in a wave form across the bottom of the application. It is here that you do your cutting and editing before saving the final product and exporting it. The three editing tools include volume adjustment and fade in or out. Once you're finished you hit the export button and off you go.
Unfortunately it's not the most refined piece of software and we encountered a number of problems, which tended to get frustrating at times, especially when it wouldn't do something it was meant to. For instance, moving the curser to a new point in the track often didn't work the way it should. Since this is one of the most basic functions, we were quite disappointed to see the glitch. We also found that the software would lock up on one of our two installations, forcing us to close it, and we weren't able to adjust the volume on either installation. In this regard, despite its simplicity, computer illiterate users may still get very frustrated and the rest of us will probably follow suit.
The software does have its own automatic updater, so hopefully bugs like this can be patched out in the future. However, throughout our tests we barely got to achieve what we set out to achieve. The automatic updater corrupted the application and required a re-install. The application locked up on a number of occasions and when we tried to export to MP3 on one of our systems the application was missing the required codec. It would not explain how to download it, or explain which codec was required; not a very good situation for "buffoons". We did eventually manage to get a file exported, but were disappointed by the difficulties.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Process Specialist | ProcurementVIC
- CCProcess Engineer- TelcoVIC
- FTTraining Lead | Up to $800 per dayVIC
- FTGeospatial Data AnalystVIC
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- FTHealthcare Application Integration Support - Brisbane BasedWA
- TP.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- FTHTML DeveloperNSW
- CCArchitect/Senior Capacity Planner Network Engineering - TelcoVIC
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, FinanceNSW
- FTWeb Developer | Parramatta | Initial 6 month contractNSW
- FTSenior IT Domain SpecialistVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- PTProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer / ArchitectQLD
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)QLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Student Management SystemQLD
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW