Rescue Your Videotapes
From analog to digital
- Limited editing options, fiddly to set up, could do with better integration
Rescue Your Videotapes! aims to provide everything you need to transfer your VHS, Betamax or Hi8 collection to DVD. The software’s good, the hardware’s good, but the package could do with better integration of the two. It’s fiddly to get going, but once things are running smoothly, there are enough automated editing and DVD front-end functions to make a professional conversions easy and quick.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
If you have a large collection of legacy video tapes, the Magix Rescue Your Videotapes kit is an excellent way to transfer them to DVD.
Rescue Your Videotapes! combines hardware and software intelligently, and the Magix box contains a full copy of Movies on DVD 7, Magix's software which handles video capture, editing and DVD burning.
The hardware comprises an analog-to-digital video capture device, which connects into a USB socket where it derives its power. A Scart-to-composite video cable is included, which plugs into a VHS video tape recorder. There's even a USB extension lead, so there's no need to fiddle round the back of the PC.
Connecting up the hardware is easy enough, but installing the software isn't as straightforward as it could be. It's a shame installing Movies on DVD 7 doesn't install the capture device driver, too — this is a separate operation. When you start to record a video, it's quite likely nothing will appear on the preview screen, as the USB device is not made default if you already have a video card with a composite input — as many do.
These initial teething troubles quickly fade, though, once you start using the program properly. All kinds of material can be captured: from VHS or even Betamax tapes, from a camcorder, or from recordings made on a PVR with a hard drive. Video can be captured from 160x120 resolution at 12.5fps for web use, up to 720x576 ('DVD quality').
Once in place, although there isn't the same depth of editing function found in Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements, there's scope to customise your video. There's automatic scene detection, which works well, and ad detection, to remove unwanted advert breaks. This sometimes needs some manual trimming to tidy up the joins. You can also add titles and use the pre-defined, DVD front-end menus to present content in an easy-to use way before burning to disc.
Much of the editing work is automated and can be done with a few clicks, so if there's a lot of material to transfer, you don't have to fiddle around repeating many, intricate manipulations on each set of clips or programmes.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- FTRegional Sales ManagerACT
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- CCService Designer (CX)NSW
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk Support (CISCO)QLD
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- CCBusiness/Process AnalystQLD
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- TPFunctional AnalystVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect l Practice Manager - Archimate 3.0, eTOMNSW