Rescue Your Videotapes
From analog to digital
- Limited editing options, fiddly to set up, could do with better integration
Rescue Your Videotapes! aims to provide everything you need to transfer your VHS, Betamax or Hi8 collection to DVD. The software’s good, the hardware’s good, but the package could do with better integration of the two. It’s fiddly to get going, but once things are running smoothly, there are enough automated editing and DVD front-end functions to make a professional conversions easy and quick.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
If you have a large collection of legacy video tapes, the Magix Rescue Your Videotapes kit is an excellent way to transfer them to DVD.
Rescue Your Videotapes! combines hardware and software intelligently, and the Magix box contains a full copy of Movies on DVD 7, Magix's software which handles video capture, editing and DVD burning.
The hardware comprises an analog-to-digital video capture device, which connects into a USB socket where it derives its power. A Scart-to-composite video cable is included, which plugs into a VHS video tape recorder. There's even a USB extension lead, so there's no need to fiddle round the back of the PC.
Connecting up the hardware is easy enough, but installing the software isn't as straightforward as it could be. It's a shame installing Movies on DVD 7 doesn't install the capture device driver, too — this is a separate operation. When you start to record a video, it's quite likely nothing will appear on the preview screen, as the USB device is not made default if you already have a video card with a composite input — as many do.
These initial teething troubles quickly fade, though, once you start using the program properly. All kinds of material can be captured: from VHS or even Betamax tapes, from a camcorder, or from recordings made on a PVR with a hard drive. Video can be captured from 160x120 resolution at 12.5fps for web use, up to 720x576 ('DVD quality').
Once in place, although there isn't the same depth of editing function found in Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements, there's scope to customise your video. There's automatic scene detection, which works well, and ad detection, to remove unwanted advert breaks. This sometimes needs some manual trimming to tidy up the joins. You can also add titles and use the pre-defined, DVD front-end menus to present content in an easy-to use way before burning to disc.
Much of the editing work is automated and can be done with a few clicks, so if there's a lot of material to transfer, you don't have to fiddle around repeating many, intricate manipulations on each set of clips or programmes.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior UX DesignerAsia
- CCContract Programmer (HTML5/Java/Oracle) 161031/P/551Asia
- FTIT Systems ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPTraining LeadVIC
- CCWebpage DesignerACT
- FTERP Data Migration ConsultantNSW
- FTLead Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCMultiple Opportunities - Baseline, NV1 or NV2SA
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- FTMid-Senior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk Consultant - TelcoTAS
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Voice & VideoACT
- FTCommercial Contracts Manager - DefenceSA
- CCBusiness Intelligence - DeveloperACT
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectSA
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperWA
- CCWeb Programmer - Sydney - GovernmentNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW