Logitech Z520 PC speakers
These high-quality stereo PC speakers have good mid-range and treble response but lack a subwoofer
- Clear treble, accurate mid-range, decent power levels
- No option to add a subwoofer, expensive
If you’re looking for a simple and compact pair of stereo speakers that still sound detailed, the Z520 set from Logitech is a good choice. It doesn’t have everything we’d want in a set of near-field speakers but the overall package is tempting.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Z520 stereo PC speakers are relatively expensive. The sound they produce is worth the outlay, though; good treble and mid-range response make for accurate and lively musical reproduction. The lack of a subwoofer means the system is suited to PC users looking for a compact, refined system rather than a bass-heavy one.
The Logitech Z520 speakers are reasonably well built, with a conservative design that still possesses a few stylish cues. Detatching the grills will show off the silver accents and piano-black fascia, but we prefer the grills on for a minimalist look. The right speaker has a combination power button and volume control with a dim orange light burning when the speakers are turned on.
A wall-wart power brick connects to the right speaker with a few metres of cord, while the speakers themselves can be separated by around two metres. The 3.5mm audio jack is a similar length, so if your PC is a short distance away from your monitor you won’t be inconvenienced. We would have liked the addition of an inbuilt DAC (sound card) and the ability to connect via USB, like the older and cheaper Logitech Z5 speakers. The right speaker has line-in and line-out ports on its side for auxiliary and headphone connections.
The sound quality from the Logitech Z520 PC speakers is good for their price point. A single 1in tweeter and a 3in woofer on the front of each speaker are joined by another tweeter on the rear, which provides some omnidirectional acoustics. We tested the Z520 with a whole range of audio you’d expect to hear on a desktop PC — streaming Internet radio, YouTube, MP3s, CDs, movies and PC games. We found the system best suited to CDs and other music, with balanced and accurate treble and mid-range at medium to high volumes. There’s no lower bass extension because the system does not include a subwoofer. This makes the speakers sometimes sound flat when watching movies and playing action PC games. The Z523 includes a subwoofer and costs less, but the Z520’s saving graces are its clarity and good treble balance, thanks to discrete tweeters.
Logitech’s Z520 speaker system is a good compact speaker system for those who want clear, high-quality PC audio for a reasonable price but don’t have the space to store a bulky subwoofer.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTFront End Web DeveloperQLD
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Designer l Microsoft SMENSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXACT