- Excellent sound, convenience of wireless, easy to set up
- Too expensive, not as loud as wired versions
These wireless surround speakers sound great, but the convenience will cost you
Price$ 799.95 (AUD)
Logitech's latest high-end speakers should appeal to anyone who has ever tripped over cables or laboured to hide the wires connecting a surround-sound setup.
The company's Z-5450 Digital Speakers system features wireless rear satellites. That convenience comes at a high price, however. And although the shipping set we tested sounded great, the speakers couldn't quite match the output of less-expensive, more-powerful wired surround setups, including Logitech's own Z-5500 package.
Both music and DVD movies sounded clear and crisp through the system's five satellite speakers and generous 200-watt subwoofer, though deeper-bass soundtracks - such as the one for The Fifth Element, with its rumbling starships--lacked a bit of detail. According to Logitech, the rear satellites are capable of switching among 38 channels in the 2.4-GHz band to avoid interference with cordless phones and other wireless devices. Throughout our tests, we didn't detected any distortion or dropped connections from the rear-channel speakers.
Setup was easy (each of the rear speakers requires a power outlet), and the system produced remarkably transparent sound with minimal tweaking of speaker placement.
The Z-5450 speakers are a sensible choice if your room would benefit greatly from going wireless. But in our experience, wired systems from Logitech and Klipsch offer better sound and slightly more solid construction for less. If wireless isn't a priority for you, one of those options may be the way to go.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160818/P/265Asia
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCChange LeadsNSW