Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
This case for the iPad Air has an attractive design and functional island keyboard.
- Good 'clicky' keys, despite minimal travel
- Offers fairly good protection as a case
- Odd keyboard layout
- Stand only allows for one angle
Overall a good keyboard case, but let down somewhat by an odd keyboard layout which steepens the learning curve.
Price$ 120.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- iPad Air Keyboard Folio Navy 119.00
Although the Keyboard Folio's thin design means minimal key travel, the discrete keys provide a clear tactile 'click' on activation. That makes it easy to type rapidly, once you get your head around the keyboard layout.
Personally, I found the learning curve was steeper than usual for a keyboard. Perhaps to allow for wider alphabetic keys, the 'Tab' and 'Q' keys are merged, as are 'Caps Lock' and 'A'. This puts Q and A at the extreme left edge of the keyboard, where they would normally be one key in.
That was enough to throw me off, almost halving my typing speed until I'd been working on the Folio for a half-hour or so. Using a 'normal' laptop keyboard for a while and returning to the Folio left me almost back at square one.
I'm all for trying innovative new keyboard designs, but this seems an unnecessary modification. Many existing iPad keyboards have delivered wide enough keys without doing so, including Logitech's own Ultrathin Keyboard Cover.
All that said, I'm sure it's something anyone could get used to with sufficient practice. It'll always be a bit of a pain if you're frequently switching between the Folio keyboard and a laptop or desktop keyboard, but it's not an insurmountable issue.
I found the 'clicky' keys provided a slightly better typing experience than the Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio with the same key layout. However, the FabricSkin keyboard is easily cleanable, whereas the traditionally-designed keys of this cover are not so much.
The keyboard connects via Bluetooth, and is charged via a micro-USB port on the side. Next to that port is a small sliding on/off switch, and a Bluetooth 'connect' button for pairing.
The iPad Air is held in place by two plastic clips at the top, and there are gaps to allow access to the iPad's buttons and camera lens. It's held magnetically upright in typing position - it's a solid arrangement, but only allows for one angle.
The Keyboard Folio shares its cover and attachment design with the Logitech Folio, which is a good alternative if you'd like a hard cover and stand but aren't so fussed about the keyboard.
The folio isn’t too heavy at 425 grams – a little less than the Air’s own 469g, bringing the total weight forthe pair to a manageable 894g. It’s 20.2mm thick, though – almost three times the iPad Air’s 7.5mm, and a teency bit thicker than Logitech’s FabricSkin Keyboard Folio for the iPad Air, which is 18.5mm.
Overall it’s a functional and useful keyboard case, kept from greatness by its odd keyboard layout and limited slightly in appeal by its single-angle stand.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Multitasking in iOS 9 makes the iPad a true post-PC device
- Microsoft Surface Hub goes on sale in September
- Asus doubles down on tablets with ZenPad series
- IDC forecasts drop in PC and tablet shipments this year
- Lenovo's new Windows 10 tablet to arrive in August
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW