Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad
Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Cover is one of the best iPad accessories on the market
- Thin and lightweight design
- Excellent typing experience
- Great battery life
- No rear iPad protection
- Can be a little top heavy
- Small delete key
Unlike many other iPad keyboard cases, the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad, as its name suggests, is ultrathin. The thin and lightweight form factor, a design that matches the iPad's aesthetics and an excellent typing experience make this one of the best iPad accessories on the market, even if it isn't perfect.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Keyboard accessories for the iPad have traditionally added plenty of weight and bulk to Apple's tablet, but Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad doesn't fall into that category. It effectively combines a smart cover and a physical keyboard while still managing to keep a slim and light profile.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad is part smart cover and part physical keyboard. It has a magnetic clip on the side that attaches onto the left of the iPad. This allows it to be folded closed when not in use, much the same way as a hardcover book. Like Apple's own smart cover, opening the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover when it's attached to the iPad automatically unlocks the iPad's screen and puts it to sleep when you close it. The device works with both the new iPad and the iPad 2.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover has an aluminium design that perfectly matches the iPad's silver back. When you want to use the keyboard you simply detach the magnet from the side of the iPad and place the iPad into a recessed slot above the keyboard. The recessed slot is magnetic so it securely holds the iPad in place when in landscape mode, unlike many other keyboard cases. You can position the iPad in portrait mode but the magnet will not work in this orientation. The angle of the iPad's screen isn't adjustable in either orientation.
There are a few nice touches that make using the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover a pleasant experience. The magnetic, recessed slot means typing on your lap, even if you're sitting on a slight angle, is comfortable and intuitive. However, the light weight of the case means using the device on your lap can make it a little top heavy and therefore susceptible to toppling over if you're not careful.
When folded closed, four small rubber tips in each corner of the cover prevent the keys from coming into contact with the iPad's screen. However, the Ultrathin Keyboard Case provides no protection for the rear of your iPad, which is arguably the most scratch-prone part of the device. Taking this into account, you'll still need a case or bag if you want to fully protect your iPad while commuting.
Connecting the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover to your iPad is a very simple process. Turn it on via the switch on the right side of the case where it will automatically enter pairing mode. Then go to the Bluetooth menu on your iPad to connect it. The iPad will prompt you to enter a four digit code using the keyboard to finalise the connection.
The Ultrathin Keyboard Cover is one of the best keyboards for the iPad that we've reviewed. It's comfortable, responsive and the layout isn't cramped or poorly spaced. We like the extra large space bar, though the delete key is a little small and was easily mishit during our testing. The glossy black plastic surrounding the keyboard is a fingerprint magnet, however, which can be an annoyance.
The keys themselves are spring loaded, offer great feedback and excellent tactility. We typed this entire review on the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad and rarely mishit a key. Typing is also a quiet experience, with none of the annoying or overly loud clicking sounds we've seen from many rival keyboard accessories.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover has a number of iOS function keys, but these are shared with the standard number keys on the top row. When pressed with the fn key in the bottom left corner, the function keys can search through spotlight, select text, copy and paste, hide or show the on-screen keyboard, adjust the volume and pause or play any media content.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad runs on a non-removable, rechargeable battery. Logitech says the battery will last six months on a single charge with two hours of typing per day. We used it for over a week and didn't need to charge the unit.
Logitech says you "can expect the battery charge to last for several months with average use" though recommends charging the cover at least once a month. A small LED above the delete key denotes when the unit is powered on and also glows while charging. Logitech includes a USB to micro-USB charging cable in the box.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Tablet modules add features but limit functionality
- Apple working on a fix for iPad Pros bricked by iOS 9.3.2
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEnterprise Architect l Practice Manager - Archimate 3.0, eTOMNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- CCCloud Solution DesignerVIC
- TPData AnalystWA
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityVIC
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantVIC
- CCNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- FTFull Stack PHP Developer - Focus on Front EndQLD
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC