Logitech S125i portable iPod speaker
This portable iPod speaker is good for picnics and trips to the beach
- Decent sound quality with reasonable bass, well built
- Distortion at higher volumes, bass enhancement feature affects clarity, only 10 hours of battery life using four AAs
The Logitech S125i is a portable iPod speaker that is good to throw in your bag when heading out for a picnic. It doesn’t have perfect sound quality and it’s a little more expensive than we think it should be, but it’s built well and makes for a fun addition to your picnic basket.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Logitech S125i is a well-built iPod speaker system that can use batteries or mains power to run. It’s a simple unit and provides reasonable audio quality at low to medium volumes, but distortion becomes evident when cranking the sound up. Despite its flaws, it could be a useful product if you're heading off on a holiday.
The Logitech S125i is not flimsily built and it doesn't rattle, which is unusual for a budget iPod accessory. With four AA batteries in the bottom-loading battery compartment it tips the scales at just under 400g, so you can easily throw it in a backpack and not notice the extra weight. Battery life is a disappointing 10 hours, however. The buttons are well constructed and offer good tactile feedback.
The Logitech S125i has a 3.5mm auxiliary input on its rear, so you can plug in almost any portable media player if you have the correct cable.
We found sound to be best at a medium volume level. There’s a bass enhancement button on the front but by and large we preferred it off. The speaker system's reasonable treble detail and slightly recessed mid-range made for good listening, especially with the ambient noise of an office in the background.
Maxing out the Logitech S125i’s speakers in a quiet park, we quickly noticed that the treble was not nearly as prominent as mid-range. Distortion was also obvious during complex musical passages. Switching on the bass enhancement did give a boost to lower frequencies, but also robbed treble of its clarity — this is a mode well suited to higher volume levels where treble is already over-shadowed.
Despite being slightly expensive for a humble portable iPod speaker, the Logitech S125i is a decent purchase. It has acceptable sound quality at most listening volumes and is built well; its flaws only become debilitating at maximum volume.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTSenior C# .NET Developer (Focus WCF, MVC)VIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- CCMid to Senior Level User Experience SpecialistsNSW
- CCContracts ManagerNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCProject Manager - Customer Engagement / NPSVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSharePoint EngineerACT
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- CCOpen_5pm 5th February_Program ArchitectACT
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCTechnical Integration Specialist - MicrosoftACT
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT