- Small and fairly compact, Easy to use and access controls, Outstanding value for money
- Volume could be a little louder, Bass isn’t the greatest
The Logitech R-10 aren’t the best sounding speakers on the market – in fact they’re not even close. However, what the R-10 offers is unsurpassed and outstanding value for money. At this price, they’re a steal.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
It's not often we review such a basic pair of PC speakers, but for notebook users and those with a limited amount of desk space, the extra size and weight of a 2.1 system flanked with a typically large and heavy subwoofer means a lack of portability. Enter the Logitech R-10 - a simple, yet effective 2.0 PC speaker set-up which provides outstanding value for money and surprisingly efficient sound quality.
Let us start by saying that there's nothing overly attractive or outstanding about the R-10. In short, they are an extremely basic set of desktop or notebook PC speakers. With a fairly orthodox black finish, the compact and petite R-10 will definitely appeal to those with a lack of desktop space - and make no mistake, there are plenty of us out there!
Despite being very basic, it must be said that the R-10 contains all the controls needed for both ease of use and convenience. The left speaker contains a Headphone Jack, a Power Button, a Green LED and the Volume Control. The controls are all easy to access and we experienced no problems or annoyances with them - perhaps with an exception to the lack of bass and treble controls. However, it must be said that these functions sometimes aren't even available on higher end units, so to ask for them on such a low priced and basic unit is perhaps asking a little too much.
The speakers themselves are fairly thin and light, although if you're looking for a slimmer number, you're best bet would be the TDK Tremor xa60 - but do note the major price difference. The R-10's are fuller, and slope out as they move downwards to the plastic base - which has convenient anti-slip rubber grip pieces underneath to prevent unwanted movement.
The R-10 is simple to set up - a coloured cable plugs into your PC's sound card, while the AC adapter is the only other connection you'll need to worry about. To say we were surprised with the sound quality of the R-10 is perhaps an understatement. While they won't ever compete with most 2.1 systems, you'll struggle to find better sound for such a low price anywhere else. At under $30 (RRP at the time of review), the R-10 delivers crisp, clear sound with no notable distortion or interference. The bass isn't the greatest and those who enjoy their pounding beats in heavier tunes may be somewhat discomforted, but for everyone else, the clarity and crispness that the R-10 delivers really makes you check the price to make sure you haven't been fooled. The only complaint we have is with the volume, which could have been a little louder at its highest setting.
Undoubtedly, the best feature of the R-10 is its value for money. If there's a better pair of basic PC speakers then we'd really like to know about them.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Total War: Warhammer DirectX 12 performance preview: Radeon reigns supreme
- Radeon Polaris GPU and Bristol Ridge APU should be featured by AMD at Computex
- Google's Tensor Processing Unit said to advance Moore's Law seven years into the future
- Confirmed by Nvidia: Official GeForce GTX 1070 tech specifications leak
- Rumours are true: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 officially supports only 2-way SLI setups
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCSenior Program DirectorNSW
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- FTPega Operation Engineer - CEPNSW
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCSoftware Licensing AnalystVIC
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- FTSenior Developer - .Net, MVC, C#NSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT