- Great sound, loud enough for use in the home, charges and syncs your iPod to a PC, stylish
- Some distortion evident at high volume levels, quite large, lacks bass
For a competitive price, the mm50 provides quality sound and is loud enough for in-home use.
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Portable speaker systems built specifically for iPods are becoming something of a fad these days and there are a plethora of options available on the market. Logitech are a major player in this space and the Logitech mm50 iPod portable speakers we reviewed produced quality sound.
Measuring 325 x 102 x 38 mm, the mm50 is clearly on the larger side in terms of portability. However we liked the flip-out stand and the built in rechargeable battery, which also charges your iPod while it is connected to a power source.
The mm50 can be used with the Apple iPod, iPod mini and iPod nano. Depending on which model you have, Logitech has included two extra plastic snap-on holders - one for the original and photo iPods and the other for the mini. Unfortunately the mm50 was released before the iPod nano and therefore Logitech were unable to include an insert, but the nano is still compatible with this unit.
The included dock connector on the back of the mm50 allows direct connection between an iPod and a computer, allowing you to charge, sync and listen to music. Hooking this up is simply a matter of connecting one end of the iPod's USB cable to the back of the mm50, the other end to your PC and docking the iPod in the speaker system.
The sound quality of the mm50 was excellent and Logitech have included a 3D function which widens the sound levels. The volume levels of the unit were extremely loud and although it is a portable device, we would have no qualms recommending it as a replacement for a stereo in your room. At higher volume levels, we did notice a little distortion and if you are looking for heavy bass, the mm50 isn't for you. The mm50 also includes a line-in jack which means that non iPod players can be used, but a cable for this feature is not included in the package.
The Lithium ion battery lasted about nine hours during testing, slightly less than Logitech's claimed 10 hours, but still ample, considering the sound quality the unit is capable of delivering.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCIT Technical Writer- understanding in RDMBS,Web server, StorageNSW
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCTechnology DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Project ManagerAsia
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCTechnical Writer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW