Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad
Logitech's Keyboard case for iPad offers an excellent typing experience but minimal protection
- Excellent typing experience
- Good battery life
- Protects the iPad's screen
- No rear iPad protection
- Awkward to remove iPad from case
- Raised edges dig into palms
The Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad provides an excellent typing experience, but offers minimal protection for the iPad compared to other keyboard folio style cases. Provided you store your iPad in a bag or sleeve when not in use, we found Logitech's solution one of the best keyboard accessories on the market.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
The Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad was originally designed for the iPad 2, but works perfectly with the new iPad, too. It's a protective keyboard case with a slight twist, offering an excellent typing experience on the whole, but lacking the protection of many folio-style alternatives.
Unlike many other iPad keyboard cases on the market, the Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad is more keyboard than case. Its basically a flat slab that consists largely of a physical keyboard. A recessed slot just above the keyboard holds the iPad in either portrait or landscape modes. When not in use, you simply flip the iPad screen down onto the keyboard where four rubber corners hold it into place.
There are a couple of real benefits to this design. Firstly, the keyboard itself is slightly larger than many folio alternatives. Keys are still smaller than a full-sized, regular keyboard, but the difference isn't huge. The extra space provides a good typing experience, but more importantly, an experience that feels natural.
The keys are spring loaded, provide good tactility and all the major keys are just where they should be. A row of iOS function keys sit on the top row and include functions like hiding and showing the on-screen keyboard, spotlight search, copy and paste, slideshow and media playback controls.
The design of the Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad looks the part, too. The metallic silver finish on the bottom almost perfectly matches the aluminium finish on the back of the iPad itself. When not in use, the iPad's screen is completely protected and fits snugly in the case.
There are a few issues with the design of the Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad, however. It provides no protection for the rear of your iPad, which is arguably the most scratch-prone part of the device. The design also hinders the typing experience thanks to the metal edges of the case. While these are required in order to keep the iPad snug and secure when not in use, they are raised around the keyboard and dig into your palms when typing.
The iPad is very difficult to remove from the case. The recessed edge on the front of the keyboard gives you a convenient spot to dig your fingers into to pry it out, but it's an awkward experience. Finally, the angle of the iPad's screen isn't adjustable. We found the angle perfect for most usage scenarios, but those who may want to position the iPad at odd angles will be left disappointed.
The Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad charges via USB and Logitech includes a USB to micro-USB charging cable in the box. Logitech says the keyboard's battery will last "several weeks with average usage", though goes onto state that "high usage levels may cause the battery not to last as long." In more than two weeks of testing, using the keyboard almost every day, we only had to charge the battery once.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple working on a fix for iPad Pros bricked by iOS 9.3.2
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
- 5 reasons why the 9.7-inch iPad Pro can't be a PC replacement
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCProject Manager - IT SecurityNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160617/AP/623Asia
- CCx2 AEM Frontend/UI DevelopersVIC
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Healthcare industryVIC
- FTJunior Web DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCProduct Solution DesignerVIC