Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
This keyboard features back-lit keys and a well-crafted design.
- Ultra-thin design, excellent key layout, adjustable key backlighting, near-silent operation, comfortable
- Not wireless, a little expensive, lack of Fn key on the left side of the keyboard
If you can live with a wired keyboard, Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard is one of the best available. However, it’s a little overpriced.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard features backlit keys, an ultra-thin design and the PerfectStroke key system. Although it's not wireless, it is one of the better keyboards on the market.
The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard's matte black finish gives it an aura of sophistication and class, and the clear plastic bezel surrounding the keyboard is a nice design touch. At just 9.3mm thick, the Illuminated Keyboard is extremely slim and low, but it can be propped up by supports that reside on the bottom. These flip-out plastic legs are small but sturdy.
The keyboard is definitely comfortable to use. At the front there is a serviceable rubber-style wrist rest; it’s a shame it can't be removed as many users are cramped for space and would appreciate a smaller footprint. The wrist rest also tends to attract grubby fingermarks due to its finish.
The keys provide excellent tactility and are well spaced. Aside from the insert, print screen and pause/break buttons being shifted to the top row instead of sitting in their usual place, the layout of keys is excellent. The backlit keys are impressive and are a godsend at night or in dim lighting. Rather than leak through the spaces in between keys, the backlighting is restricted to the character on a key. The backlighting can be adjusted by a key in the top right corner of the keyboard; there are four brightness levels available and you can also completely turn it off if you wish.
Strangely, the top row of F-keys isn't backlit, though the orange symbols that appear above them are. One other minor complaint is the lack of a function key (Fn) on the left side of the keyboard; you need this key to access the one-touch controls that allow you to adjust volume and offer instant access to programs such as your media player, e-mail client and Web browser.
The Illuminated Keyboard also boasts what Logitech has dubbed PerfectStroke, which allows for longer key travel. The pressure required to type is greatly reduced, speeding up the typing process. After continual daily use over a period of three weeks, the Illuminated Keyboard made our typing more efficient. Additionally, typing is near-silent, making this keyboard an ideal choice if you don't want to disturb your colleagues.
The Illuminated Keyboard connects via a USB cable and is plug-and-play. However, if you want to use the shortcut keys you'll need to install the included SetPoint software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- EVGA's GTX 1080 FTW2 and SC2 graphics cards get updated with faster memory
- Qualcomm: First Windows 10 ARM PC coming in the fourth quarter
- User-created patch lets Kaby Lake and Ryzen PCs receive Windows 7 updates
- Samsung ready to make chips faster than the ones in Galaxy S8
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTInfrastructure Architect - UrgentSA
- FTSenior Project Manager - Digital / MediaNSW
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager- RiskSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Engineer - WintelQLD
- FTProject Manager, Asset Vision- SaaS, PaaS- Gov backgroundNSW
- FTSenior / Lead AEM DeveloperNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst - Port MacquarieNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- FTSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPBI Report Developer - SSRS SSIS SSASNSW
- FTLead Agile Software TesterNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsNSW
- FTIT Service Owner - Supply Chain TechnologiesNSW
- CCSenior Linux AdministratorNSW
- TPPHP Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth InvestmentNSW
- FTInside Sales Consultants - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- TPSenior SQL Database AdministratorNSW