The Logic3 Pro-Dock offers video streaming from your iPod to your television, but the quality is questionable.
- Compact design, streams video and audio from your iPod to your television
- Video quality limited by iPod, sound quality suffers from limited frequency response range
Although the Logic3 ProDock is an excellent idea (a dock that displays movies from your iPod on your TV), it is limited by the iPod's inability to store videos at a high enough resolution for modern televisions. Add to this the limited frequency response range and you have a disappointing iPod dock.
The Logic3 Pro-Dock is an iPod dock that lets you stream video to a television using composite and component video out ports.
It has an interesting design and is quite small. The piano-black plastic casing has a gunmetal grey trim and the Logic3 logo on the front lights up when the dock is turned on. An extended base-plate gives the whole Logic3 Pro-Dock a little extra stability.
The Pro-Dock is light and therefore easy to bring along when travelling, but it requires external power to operate and charge connected iPods. It also has a mini-USB port that lets you connect to a computer for synchronising data.
The composite and component video out ports on the back of the iPod dock allow you to play movies and image slideshows stored on the iPod. Although it sounds like a simple premise, very few iPod docks are able to do this. The Cygnett Unison i-XT iPod dock offers S-Video out, but the ports offered by the Logic3 Pro-Dock are more common on many LCD and plasma TVs.
Unfortunately the iPod's inability to store movies with a resolution above 680x480 means that if you connect the iPod device and Logic3 Pro-Dock to a large screen television, the pixelation makes videos difficult to enjoy. You'll only be able to use this feature if you own an iPhone 3G, an iPod touch (Second Generation), an Apple iPod nano (fourth generation) / Apple iPod nano (3rd Generation), an Apple iPod classic or an Apple iPod (Updated 5th Generation).
The Logic3 Pro-Dock lacks speakers, so all sound comes through the television or speakers connected via the stereo analog RCA ports. The frequency response range is a disappointing 80Hz-16KHz, which cuts off a lot of the treble and lower range sound. We often found that treble sounded squashed and indistinct. The lack of a line-in for the dock also means that only iPods are compatible with the Pro-Dock.
This iPod dock is portable and versatile. Unfortunately, the quality of the audio and video output is less than impressive.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW