Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock pumps out plenty of volume and lets you rotate your iPod when you want to watch videos
- Rotatable iPod dock, good treble audio, portable
- Can't handle deep bass, occasionally lacks mid-range frequency distinction, remote control doesn't have full menu control when iPod is rotated
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate is a useful iPod dock built with video playback and portability in mind. Although bass and mid-range aren't up to scratch, it pumps out plenty of sound for such a small portable speaker system.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate is a portable iPod dock that has a video out port and speakers. You can rotate a docked iPod or iPhone 90 degrees to get the most out of videos.
Rather than have a small fixed port as found in other iPod docks, the Logic3 i-Station Rotate's dock connector rotates anti-clockwise 90 degrees. A rubber stopper sits in the lower-left corner of the docking section, but thinner iPods like the Apple iPod Touch are able to move about too much. This could lead to the connector being damaged if the iPod is bumped too often.
Although movies are playable when an iPod is rotated, the iPod's menu isn't controllable from the remote in this mode. The remote has full control of compatible iPods when in a vertical position. A composite video port sits on the back of the Logic3 i-Station Rotate, so you can play the videos on your television or monitor. The lack of composite audio ports means that all sound will be played through the iPod dock's speakers.
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock's other main selling point is its portability. Four AA sized batteries can be plugged into the back, while Logic3 bundles a padded carry-case in the sales package. The two feet that hold the unit upright can be flipped into the main body.
The speakers deliver decent treble and mid-range, but the dock suffers from a lack of bass, as indicated by the frequency response of 200Hz-20KHz. Our attempts to play the track "Addicted to Bass" by Josh Abrahams resulted in weak lower-end notes and a lack of richness.
Treble is much better — as heard in our test track of Carmen's Habanera as sung by Opera Australia — thanks to the two 22mm tweeters. The high notes were clear and there was no distortion until the volume was set to its highest level. Even then, we were impressed by the Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock's relatively clear sound at full volume.
The mid-range performance is mixed, with the Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock occasionally blending the lower and mid-range frequencies. This means that in some tracks, like "Ice Cream" by New Young Pony Club, the individual notes were less separated than they should've been.
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate is a portable iPod dock that is easily transportable, produces loud audio with little distortion and can dock iPods in the best position to play videos. Although we think the sound quality should be better at this price, if you're looking for a video-friendly iPod dock to use on the move, this is a worthwhile choice.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMQLD
- FTPayroll Systems AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber Security EnvironmentACT
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - NV1ACT
- CCService Desk SupportNSW
- CCDelivery Project ManagerVIC
- FTIntegration DeveloperWA
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- CCNetworks Engineer - SecurityVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- CCSolution Architect - Network Operations/Design - TelcoVIC
- FTChange CoordinatorACT
- CCTechnical Requirements Architect - NV1ACT
- CCOIM-IAM Environment ManagerVIC
- TPEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTHTML DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC