Lite-On iHOS104 Blu-ray drive
The Lite-On iHOS104 is an internal, budget-priced, SATA BD-ROM drive
- Can't burn DVDs or CDs
If you want to add strong Blu-ray – and high-quality DVD – playback to your system, but don’t want to pay a hefty price, the Lite-On iHOS104 should prove $149 very well spent.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
What do you do if all you want is to watch Blu-ray films on your PC? Well, you could do a lot worse than slipping in the Lite-On iHOS104 budget-priced BD-ROM drive.
The key to the Lite-On iHOS104's low price is its read-only credentials - in every department. Whereas more expensive BD-ROM drives roll in the ability to write to DVD and CD blank media, Lite-On has reasoned that you don't want to pay extra for duplicating facilities; you'll almost certainly already have a good DVD writer to run alongside the Lite-On. And even cheap dedicated DVD writers tend to have vastly superior write speeds to those offered by BD-capable drives.
So, the Lite-On iHOS104 can still play DVDs. But you're unlikely to be buying it for those reasons. Instead, you'll be wanting it for its strong quad-speed Blu-ray playback. The drive slots easily into the case, and its polished bezel gives it a distinctive look. Install the bundled CyberLink PowerDVD 8.0 BD software, and you're ready to start watching films in high-definition.
There's little sign of the Lite-On iHOS104's low price tag in the quality of the playback. Our test movies ran smoothly and with no glitches, with video always looking vivid but realistic.
CyberLink seems to be the choice of the majority of Blu-ray manufacturers, and it's quite understandable given the slick and logical interface. Its TrueTheater technology even makes a stab at upscaling standard-definition DVD video to high-definition quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCActive Directory Consultant/ArchitectWA
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW