Lite-On iHOS104 Blu-ray drive
The Lite-On iHOS104 is an internal, budget-priced, SATA BD-ROM drive
- Can't burn DVDs or CDs
If you want to add strong Blu-ray – and high-quality DVD – playback to your system, but don’t want to pay a hefty price, the Lite-On iHOS104 should prove $149 very well spent.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
What do you do if all you want is to watch Blu-ray films on your PC? Well, you could do a lot worse than slipping in the Lite-On iHOS104 budget-priced BD-ROM drive.
The key to the Lite-On iHOS104's low price is its read-only credentials - in every department. Whereas more expensive BD-ROM drives roll in the ability to write to DVD and CD blank media, Lite-On has reasoned that you don't want to pay extra for duplicating facilities; you'll almost certainly already have a good DVD writer to run alongside the Lite-On. And even cheap dedicated DVD writers tend to have vastly superior write speeds to those offered by BD-capable drives.
So, the Lite-On iHOS104 can still play DVDs. But you're unlikely to be buying it for those reasons. Instead, you'll be wanting it for its strong quad-speed Blu-ray playback. The drive slots easily into the case, and its polished bezel gives it a distinctive look. Install the bundled CyberLink PowerDVD 8.0 BD software, and you're ready to start watching films in high-definition.
There's little sign of the Lite-On iHOS104's low price tag in the quality of the playback. Our test movies ran smoothly and with no glitches, with video always looking vivid but realistic.
CyberLink seems to be the choice of the majority of Blu-ray manufacturers, and it's quite understandable given the slick and logical interface. Its TrueTheater technology even makes a stab at upscaling standard-definition DVD video to high-definition quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Surprise! Nvidia reveals a new Pascal-powered Titan X and it looks like an utter monster
- Seagate's 10TB Barracuda Pro is the world's largest consumer hard drive
- 3DMark Time Spy tested: We pit Radeon vs. GeForce in this major new DX12 benchmark
- Nvidia's powerful Ansel screenshot tool and amusing VR Funhouse demo go live
- Tested: AMD's new driver fixes the Radeon RX 480's power draw and boosts performance
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCAssociate Engineer (Communications Engineering)Asia
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCService Management Specialist / ITILNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCIncident ManagerSA
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSAP Payroll Implement/Migration Project Manager/ SpecialistNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- FTPortal DeveloperNSW
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD