Lite-On iHOS104 Blu-ray drive
The Lite-On iHOS104 is an internal, budget-priced, SATA BD-ROM drive
- Can't burn DVDs or CDs
If you want to add strong Blu-ray – and high-quality DVD – playback to your system, but don’t want to pay a hefty price, the Lite-On iHOS104 should prove $149 very well spent.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
What do you do if all you want is to watch Blu-ray films on your PC? Well, you could do a lot worse than slipping in the Lite-On iHOS104 budget-priced BD-ROM drive.
The key to the Lite-On iHOS104's low price is its read-only credentials - in every department. Whereas more expensive BD-ROM drives roll in the ability to write to DVD and CD blank media, Lite-On has reasoned that you don't want to pay extra for duplicating facilities; you'll almost certainly already have a good DVD writer to run alongside the Lite-On. And even cheap dedicated DVD writers tend to have vastly superior write speeds to those offered by BD-capable drives.
So, the Lite-On iHOS104 can still play DVDs. But you're unlikely to be buying it for those reasons. Instead, you'll be wanting it for its strong quad-speed Blu-ray playback. The drive slots easily into the case, and its polished bezel gives it a distinctive look. Install the bundled CyberLink PowerDVD 8.0 BD software, and you're ready to start watching films in high-definition.
There's little sign of the Lite-On iHOS104's low price tag in the quality of the playback. Our test movies ran smoothly and with no glitches, with video always looking vivid but realistic.
CyberLink seems to be the choice of the majority of Blu-ray manufacturers, and it's quite understandable given the slick and logical interface. Its TrueTheater technology even makes a stab at upscaling standard-definition DVD video to high-definition quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Intel's Skylake vPro chips will support Windows 7 after all
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- Android Auto coming to 40 car models this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCDesktop Support L1, 2 & 3NSW
- CCWintel Support EngineerNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- CCSenior Systems Analyst (Biomedical)SA
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/Mobile App) 160115/JP/vhaAsia
- CCSAP Test ManagerSA
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Service Desk (32 hour week)WA
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD