Able freebie ImgBurn handles burning tasks on CD, DVD and Blu-Ray
- Free, Blu-ray
- May be daunting for less tech-savvy users
ImgBurn is easily the most impressive free/donationware burning software I've run across.
What's thin, light, powerful, sometimes clever, and always there to handle your data burning needs? ImgBurn, easily the most impressive free/donationware burning software I've run across. The program handles a host of image types including ISO, NRG, PDI, UDI, BIN/CUE, and CDI--obviating the need to buy several different imaging programs--and will also create data CDs, DVDs, and get this: Blu-ray data discs.
Though the up-front placement of advanced options and technical jargon might make ImgBurn a little daunting for less tech-savvy users, it's great for those who understand the process. The interface feels a bit cramped, but overall it's easy to use once you adapt to the close quarters.
It's not often that software makes me smile, as ImgBurn did when it popped open a dialog informing me that the volume name I'd entered wasn't unique. It wasn't the dialog itself that made me smile, but the cleverly employed progress bar that showed me how many characters I had remaining for use in my volume name as I typed.
What impressed me even more was that ImgBurn successfully created a Blu-ray data disc from within a virtual machine while I multi-tasked outside of the VM and just generally ignored it. It was rock-solid in all my tests--which I ran on several recorders--and very nimble at such tasks as gathering info about drives and inserted discs. The software is also capable of creating bootable discs, and it offers granular access to just about any disc-burning option you can think of. On top of that, it will queue multiple images for burning and output statistics gathered during the burn process.
Although ImgBurn is free, the author gladly accepts donations via PayPal. If you find the program suits your needs, as it does mine, I highly suggest that you donate. Encouraging clever programming is never a bad thing. My only complaint about ImgBurn is about the Web site, which serves up a gauntlet of ads and non-related download links en route to the correct link. Solution: Download it here.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCUnix Project LeadNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Finance Systems AnalystVIC
- CCIT Infrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementNSW
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTJunior Web Developer | Django | Python | AWS | PostgreSQL | North Sydney NSW
- CCFront End Developer (UI) - 12 Month ContractNSW
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- CCData Centre EngineerNSW
- FTData ScientistSA
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- CCSiebel DeveloperACT
- CCICT Business AnalystACT
- CCData ScientistVIC
- FT.NET DEVELOPER | MID LEVEL | MEDIA INDUSTRYNSW
- CCSenior Java Analyst Programmer - Front Office TradingNSW
- FTInstructional Designer - eLearningSA
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- FTNetwork and Security Engineer - Checkpoint, Firewalls, VPNNSW
- FTMid to senior Java Software EngineerNSW