Able freebie ImgBurn handles burning tasks on CD, DVD and Blu-Ray
- Free, Blu-ray
- May be daunting for less tech-savvy users
ImgBurn is easily the most impressive free/donationware burning software I've run across.
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
What's thin, light, powerful, sometimes clever, and always there to handle your data burning needs? ImgBurn, easily the most impressive free/donationware burning software I've run across. The program handles a host of image types including ISO, NRG, PDI, UDI, BIN/CUE, and CDI--obviating the need to buy several different imaging programs--and will also create data CDs, DVDs, and get this: Blu-ray data discs.
Though the up-front placement of advanced options and technical jargon might make ImgBurn a little daunting for less tech-savvy users, it's great for those who understand the process. The interface feels a bit cramped, but overall it's easy to use once you adapt to the close quarters.
It's not often that software makes me smile, as ImgBurn did when it popped open a dialog informing me that the volume name I'd entered wasn't unique. It wasn't the dialog itself that made me smile, but the cleverly employed progress bar that showed me how many characters I had remaining for use in my volume name as I typed.
What impressed me even more was that ImgBurn successfully created a Blu-ray data disc from within a virtual machine while I multi-tasked outside of the VM and just generally ignored it. It was rock-solid in all my tests--which I ran on several recorders--and very nimble at such tasks as gathering info about drives and inserted discs. The software is also capable of creating bootable discs, and it offers granular access to just about any disc-burning option you can think of. On top of that, it will queue multiple images for burning and output statistics gathered during the burn process.
Although ImgBurn is free, the author gladly accepts donations via PayPal. If you find the program suits your needs, as it does mine, I highly suggest that you donate. Encouraging clever programming is never a bad thing. My only complaint about ImgBurn is about the Web site, which serves up a gauntlet of ads and non-related download links en route to the correct link. Solution: Download it here.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Quickflix halts trading ahead of acquisition
- Facebook aims to launch unmanned drone by year-end
- Windows 10 launches with its fair share of bugs
- These graphics cards and processors support Windows 10's DirectX 12 graphics tech
- Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW