Able freebie ImgBurn handles burning tasks on CD, DVD and Blu-Ray
- Free, Blu-ray
- May be daunting for less tech-savvy users
ImgBurn is easily the most impressive free/donationware burning software I've run across.
What's thin, light, powerful, sometimes clever, and always there to handle your data burning needs? ImgBurn, easily the most impressive free/donationware burning software I've run across. The program handles a host of image types including ISO, NRG, PDI, UDI, BIN/CUE, and CDI--obviating the need to buy several different imaging programs--and will also create data CDs, DVDs, and get this: Blu-ray data discs.
Though the up-front placement of advanced options and technical jargon might make ImgBurn a little daunting for less tech-savvy users, it's great for those who understand the process. The interface feels a bit cramped, but overall it's easy to use once you adapt to the close quarters.
It's not often that software makes me smile, as ImgBurn did when it popped open a dialog informing me that the volume name I'd entered wasn't unique. It wasn't the dialog itself that made me smile, but the cleverly employed progress bar that showed me how many characters I had remaining for use in my volume name as I typed.
What impressed me even more was that ImgBurn successfully created a Blu-ray data disc from within a virtual machine while I multi-tasked outside of the VM and just generally ignored it. It was rock-solid in all my tests--which I ran on several recorders--and very nimble at such tasks as gathering info about drives and inserted discs. The software is also capable of creating bootable discs, and it offers granular access to just about any disc-burning option you can think of. On top of that, it will queue multiple images for burning and output statistics gathered during the burn process.
Although ImgBurn is free, the author gladly accepts donations via PayPal. If you find the program suits your needs, as it does mine, I highly suggest that you donate. Encouraging clever programming is never a bad thing. My only complaint about ImgBurn is about the Web site, which serves up a gauntlet of ads and non-related download links en route to the correct link. Solution: Download it here.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT