LG SuperMulti GSA-4163B
- Great CD ripping and dual layer functionality
- Slow burn speeds
The versatility of this drive, coupled with its fine all-round performance and ease of installation, makes it a brilliant choice for those users looking to add a DVD burner to an old or new system alike. Its CD ripping and DVD+R DL reading and writing capabilities were particularly strong.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
While we had to wait a while before we could get our hands on this drive, the wait was definitely worth it. It turned out to be one of the fastest and most consistent drives we've tested, as one of the most versatile. In addition to DVD+R/+RW/DL and DVD-R/-RW formats, the GSA-4163B also has support for non-cartridge type DVD-RAM discs.
This makes it a jack of all trades and one the few drives we have reviewed that is capable of burning to DVD-RAM discs. DVD-RAM writing is a great feature and should come in handy for those of you who have set top DVD recorders that use this format.
For burning, the GSA-4163B uses the PCAV method, which allows the drive to reach its maximum transfer rate faster than either pure CAV or CLV methods. This was the case in our Nero CD/DVD DVD+R simulated speed test, and this method helped the GSA-4163B achieve very high data write rates in that test.
An actual burn, however, did not produce such good results. A DVD+R burn ended up quite slow, taking 8 minutes to complete.
We found the reliability of all its burns to be very good and its DVD+R DL read performance, in particular, was excellent. It had strong read performance across all media and its very user-friendly installation program and low street price make it an ideal choice if this is your first DVD burner purchase.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCProject Coordinator (Paying $400-$450 per day)NSW
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia