LG SuperMulti GSA-4163B
- Great CD ripping and dual layer functionality
- Slow burn speeds
The versatility of this drive, coupled with its fine all-round performance and ease of installation, makes it a brilliant choice for those users looking to add a DVD burner to an old or new system alike. Its CD ripping and DVD+R DL reading and writing capabilities were particularly strong.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
While we had to wait a while before we could get our hands on this drive, the wait was definitely worth it. It turned out to be one of the fastest and most consistent drives we've tested, as one of the most versatile. In addition to DVD+R/+RW/DL and DVD-R/-RW formats, the GSA-4163B also has support for non-cartridge type DVD-RAM discs.
This makes it a jack of all trades and one the few drives we have reviewed that is capable of burning to DVD-RAM discs. DVD-RAM writing is a great feature and should come in handy for those of you who have set top DVD recorders that use this format.
For burning, the GSA-4163B uses the PCAV method, which allows the drive to reach its maximum transfer rate faster than either pure CAV or CLV methods. This was the case in our Nero CD/DVD DVD+R simulated speed test, and this method helped the GSA-4163B achieve very high data write rates in that test.
An actual burn, however, did not produce such good results. A DVD+R burn ended up quite slow, taking 8 minutes to complete.
We found the reliability of all its burns to be very good and its DVD+R DL read performance, in particular, was excellent. It had strong read performance across all media and its very user-friendly installation program and low street price make it an ideal choice if this is your first DVD burner purchase.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar launches new USB JumpDrives
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- FTWintel EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCAngularJS DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC