LG SuperMulti GSA-4163B
- Great CD ripping and dual layer functionality
- Slow burn speeds
The versatility of this drive, coupled with its fine all-round performance and ease of installation, makes it a brilliant choice for those users looking to add a DVD burner to an old or new system alike. Its CD ripping and DVD+R DL reading and writing capabilities were particularly strong.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
While we had to wait a while before we could get our hands on this drive, the wait was definitely worth it. It turned out to be one of the fastest and most consistent drives we've tested, as one of the most versatile. In addition to DVD+R/+RW/DL and DVD-R/-RW formats, the GSA-4163B also has support for non-cartridge type DVD-RAM discs.
This makes it a jack of all trades and one the few drives we have reviewed that is capable of burning to DVD-RAM discs. DVD-RAM writing is a great feature and should come in handy for those of you who have set top DVD recorders that use this format.
For burning, the GSA-4163B uses the PCAV method, which allows the drive to reach its maximum transfer rate faster than either pure CAV or CLV methods. This was the case in our Nero CD/DVD DVD+R simulated speed test, and this method helped the GSA-4163B achieve very high data write rates in that test.
An actual burn, however, did not produce such good results. A DVD+R burn ended up quite slow, taking 8 minutes to complete.
We found the reliability of all its burns to be very good and its DVD+R DL read performance, in particular, was excellent. It had strong read performance across all media and its very user-friendly installation program and low street price make it an ideal choice if this is your first DVD burner purchase.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCCisco CCIE Certified Network EngineerWA
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior ICT Project Manager - Extensive Government experienceNSW
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- CCUX / UI Visual DesignerNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW