LG Optimus L3 Android phone (preview)
LG Optimus L3 preview: A stylish budget Android phone with a small screen
- Attractive looking design
- "Floating" screen
- Only $99
- Small, low-res display
- No Ice Cream Sandwich software
Retailing for just $99 through Telstra, the pre-paid Optimus L3 is likely to bring some much needed style to the budget end of the Android market. It's just a shame about that small, low-resolution display and the lack of Ice Cream Sandwich software.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
When it comes to smartphones, LG is arguably better known for its budget offerings than its premium models. The company's latest entry-level smartphone, the Optimus L3, appears to be perfect example of that — it sells through Telstra for $99.
Officially unveiled at the 2012 Mobile World Congress (MWC) trade show in Barcelona, the LG Optimus L3 is one of three new Android smartphones (the others are the Optimus L5 and the Optimus L7) the company is categorising under the term "L-Style". It's basically a fancy marketing name for some strict design rules that these new phones will adhere to.
LG's marketing team says that the L-Style design philosophy is based around five aesthetic elements — a modern square-style that aims to provide comfortable grip, a "floating mass" screen for a slimmer look, a more intuitive arrangement of menu keys, metallic accents and a slim shape. In layman's terms, LG's L-Style smartphones will attempt to appear attractive by using a square, slim case. The Optimus L3 will also have a textured, leather-style panel on the back. This should make it stand out from the wealth of other budget Android smartphones on the market which are usually constructed from cheap feeling plastic.
From L to R: LG's Optimus L3, L5 and L7 Android phones
The "floating mass display" is of most interest. Unlike LG may have wanted you to believe, this isn't a new display technology. It merely means the display is positioned closer to the surface of the screen, which aims to give the experience that the screen is floating. We've already seen this type of display on the LG Optimus Black, and to be fair to LG, it does look pretty impressive. Unfortunately, the Optimus L3 only has a 3.2in screen with a low resolution of 240x320. This is likely to hinder usability, especially when it comes to mobile Web browsing.
Disappointingly, the LG Optimus L3 ships with the 2.3 "Gingerbread" version of Google's Android operating system and not the latest 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" version. LG hasn't yet announced if the L3 will be upgraded to ICS but given its low-end specifications and budget price, this is rather unlikely.
The launch of the Optimus L3 is LG's first major product release this year is exclusive to Telstra.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on: Google Assistant's Allo chatbot outdoes Cortana, Siri as your digital pal
- HTC announces the Desire 10 Pro and Desire 10 Lifestyle smartphones
- Report: Samsung's overzealous efforts to beat Apple lead to battery woes
- The iPhone 7's sleeper hit feature is its display
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA