- SecurDisc technology
- Slower burns with SecurDisc turned on
You're paying a $12 premium for the extra security and, even if you never use any of the SecurDisc facilities, this remains a very impressive model. But as a means of securing your privacy and keeping tabs on the quality of your media, SecurDisc is great. You only need it to work its magic once and that extra cost will prove priceless.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Today's ultra cautious PC user may be able to offer their system plenty of protection through security software, backup drives and interruptible power supplies, but there are still a number of areas that even the most paranoid cannot reach. Take DVDs, for instance. The typical disc can be picked up and accessed by almost anyone passing by your desk. And should you be sent a DVD through the post, how do you know it's what it purports to be? Here's a drive that has a few rather convincing answers for these issues.
The LG GSA-H55N comes kitted out with SecurDisc technology. Using the specially adapted version of Ahead Nero, you can switch on a number of features as part as the burn process. Password protection can also be activated. A nice touch is the way Ahead Nero assesses the complexity of your password - the more characters and digits you use, the harder it will be to guess.
While you're there, you might want to create a digital signature. This is saved as a file which can be stashed away or emailed to any recipients of the DVD. If they want to be certain that the disk has come from you, they can get the DVD to check itself against the signature.
But the LG isn't just about keeping your data safe. You can also protect the disk from being duplicated, while the integrity check feature lets you assess media for deterioration. Should the data on the disk be in imminent danger of getting corrupted, you have advance notice to move the contents to safety. These features are nice, but they're costly. With all the SecurDisc settings turned on, it took almost double the time to burn 3GB to disk.
Even when used as a normal DVD writer, the GSA-H55N is exceptional. Its 20-speed DVD-R/+R facilities are exceptional, and when you combine these with 12-speed DVD-RAM and 10-speed DVD-RW/+RW, this is clearly a fantastic product.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- FTSecurity Solution ArchitectVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTField Services EngineerWA
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCServiceNow Specialist - Administration and DevelopmentVIC
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- TP.NET DeveloperWA
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT roleNSW
- FTApplication Support LeadQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPSenior Performance TesterQLD
- CCWintel Engineers - NV1ACT
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Business Analyst (UX Design)NSW