- SecurDisc technology
- Slower burns with SecurDisc turned on
You're paying a $12 premium for the extra security and, even if you never use any of the SecurDisc facilities, this remains a very impressive model. But as a means of securing your privacy and keeping tabs on the quality of your media, SecurDisc is great. You only need it to work its magic once and that extra cost will prove priceless.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Today's ultra cautious PC user may be able to offer their system plenty of protection through security software, backup drives and interruptible power supplies, but there are still a number of areas that even the most paranoid cannot reach. Take DVDs, for instance. The typical disc can be picked up and accessed by almost anyone passing by your desk. And should you be sent a DVD through the post, how do you know it's what it purports to be? Here's a drive that has a few rather convincing answers for these issues.
The LG GSA-H55N comes kitted out with SecurDisc technology. Using the specially adapted version of Ahead Nero, you can switch on a number of features as part as the burn process. Password protection can also be activated. A nice touch is the way Ahead Nero assesses the complexity of your password - the more characters and digits you use, the harder it will be to guess.
While you're there, you might want to create a digital signature. This is saved as a file which can be stashed away or emailed to any recipients of the DVD. If they want to be certain that the disk has come from you, they can get the DVD to check itself against the signature.
But the LG isn't just about keeping your data safe. You can also protect the disk from being duplicated, while the integrity check feature lets you assess media for deterioration. Should the data on the disk be in imminent danger of getting corrupted, you have advance notice to move the contents to safety. These features are nice, but they're costly. With all the SecurDisc settings turned on, it took almost double the time to burn 3GB to disk.
Even when used as a normal DVD writer, the GSA-H55N is exceptional. Its 20-speed DVD-R/+R facilities are exceptional, and when you combine these with 12-speed DVD-RAM and 10-speed DVD-RW/+RW, this is clearly a fantastic product.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- CCService Desk SMENSW
- TPProgram ManagerNSW
- CCTechnology Support Specialist - Multiple RolesSA
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- TPTechnical Solutions Architect-Dynamics CRMVIC
- TPDynamics CRM Technical Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- CCFIS Connex DeveloperQLD
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- TPContract Manager - ICT Solution DevelopmentSA
- FTChange ManagerACT
- CCSoftware DeveloperNSW
- TPService Deliver ManagerQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTInformation / Data Quality AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & LendingQLD
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire Developers - Brisbane basedNSW
- FTBack End DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTNational Manager of Security - We are looking for a strong Leader - Syd CBDNSW
- CCBusiness/Process AnalystQLD