LG GSA-H10A DVD Burner
- Easily upgradable firmware
- Burnt DVD+R DL discs may not be compatible with older drives
While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performace was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall driver than its predecessor
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Replacing the ever-popular GSA-4167B is LG's GSA-H10A Super Multi DVD burner, which can burn to the majority of media that are available on the market, including DVD-RAM media (without cartridge).
The drive doesn't look any different from its predecessor and it only possesses a slightly faster DVD+R DL writing speed.
It can write to DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 16x, but this speed is only reached at the end of the burn. A full write to store-bought TDK-branded DVD+R and DVD-R discs took 5mins 31sec and 5min 39sec, respectively, and tests with Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed smooth write curves.
While its 8x DVD+R DL writing capability is faster than the 6x speed of the GSA-4167B, it burnt to our 2.4x Verbatim discs at 6x. It took six minutes longer to burn to these discs than the GSA-4167B. This speed is also over 10 minutes slower than the time recorded by the Pioneer DVR-A11XLA, which has been the number one burner on our Best Buys chart.
Playing back the burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed a smooth read curve and all burnt discs were read back perfectly on other PCs. Even though the drive automatically changed the book-type of the DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM to make them more compatible with older drives, these discs could not be read in our Pioneer A07 drive.
LG ships the drive with a utility for updating the firmware of the drive over the Internet. We used this utility without any problems to update the firmware to JL03 for testing.
Verdict: While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performance was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall drive than its predecessor.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA