LG GSA-H10A DVD Burner
- Easily upgradable firmware
- Burnt DVD+R DL discs may not be compatible with older drives
While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performace was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall driver than its predecessor
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Replacing the ever-popular GSA-4167B is LG's GSA-H10A Super Multi DVD burner, which can burn to the majority of media that are available on the market, including DVD-RAM media (without cartridge).
The drive doesn't look any different from its predecessor and it only possesses a slightly faster DVD+R DL writing speed.
It can write to DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 16x, but this speed is only reached at the end of the burn. A full write to store-bought TDK-branded DVD+R and DVD-R discs took 5mins 31sec and 5min 39sec, respectively, and tests with Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed smooth write curves.
While its 8x DVD+R DL writing capability is faster than the 6x speed of the GSA-4167B, it burnt to our 2.4x Verbatim discs at 6x. It took six minutes longer to burn to these discs than the GSA-4167B. This speed is also over 10 minutes slower than the time recorded by the Pioneer DVR-A11XLA, which has been the number one burner on our Best Buys chart.
Playing back the burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed a smooth read curve and all burnt discs were read back perfectly on other PCs. Even though the drive automatically changed the book-type of the DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM to make them more compatible with older drives, these discs could not be read in our Pioneer A07 drive.
LG ships the drive with a utility for updating the firmware of the drive over the Internet. We used this utility without any problems to update the firmware to JL03 for testing.
Verdict: While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performance was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall drive than its predecessor.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA