- DVD-RAM Support, Great variety of formats, Fairly quick
- DVD-RAM speeds slow
For single-layer 4.7GB formats, this drive is superb, producing some stunning times. It's also very well-priced and, for these reasons, should be a hit. However, those who are more interested in using 8.5GB double-layer formats will find better deals elsewhere.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
For some time now, LG has been churning out prized DVD writers. Combining raw DVD+R speed with decent performance across a range of other formats, LG writers have tended to seal the deal with their enviable price tags, and if that's not enough, LG can promise support for a standard not covered by any of the other manufacturers: DVD-RAM.
We've long been lamenting the baleful reputation of the rewriteable DVD-RAM format, since it is much easier to use than DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Unfortunately, speed has always been something of a problem for it.
In the case of the GSA-4167B, the eight-speed DVD+RW format is faster by far than the 5x DVD-RAM facilities, and you can expect to wait for an extra four or five minutes when copying over 4GB of data to a DVD-RAM. With the speed gap ever more apparent, we are finding it hard to continue extolling DVD-RAM's virtues.
However, for those who primarily want rewriteable optical media and aren't too bothered about speed, we would suggest it's still good to have a convenient format at the ready.
And thankfully, the LG is no one-trick pony, offering a great variety of formats. Even DVD-R DL is included, although you'll want to stick to 6x DVD+R DL for the fastest 8.5GB double-layer results. However, while it's quick, the LG is by no means the quickest writer available.
Indeed, whether you want the LG will depend very much on your priorities. For DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL, there are undoubtedly faster drives on the market. But should straight DVD+R or DVD+RW be your main focus, you won't find a better drive.
The LG copied 3GB of data to a DVD+R in four minutes and 49 seconds, and to a DVD+RW in five minutes and 47 seconds. That's fast.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW