The LG BD300 is an entry-level Blu-ray player that delivers great picture quality and has Profile 2.0 BD-Live support.
- Good picture quality when playing Blu-ray discs, stylish, BD-Live
- Image noise and artefacts when upscaling DVDs, no 7.1-channel analog output
The LG BD300 is a Blu-ray player that offers great image quality and BD-Live capabilities for extra online content. Its DVD upscaling may not be perfect, but it's much better than you would get from a standard DVD player when connected to a large screen.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The LG BD300 is an easy to use entry-level Blu-ray player with Profile 2.0 BD-Live support. It offers good picture quality for both Blu-ray discs and DVDs.
The LG BD300 is 68mm tall, and the piano black fascia with its integrated LCD and aluminium trim will look comfortable as part of any home theatre setup.
The Blu-ray player is accompanied by an uncluttered remote control that makes menu navigation simple.
A USB port on the right side of the LG BD300's face plate lets you play content from compatible storage devices.
Blu-ray Live, also known as Profile 2.0, is a feature being included in an increasing number of entry-level players. If you connect the LG BD300 to the Internet by using its Ethernet port you can access special online content when playing a Blu-ray disc with BD-Live functionality.
Picture quality is excellent when playing Blu-ray discs and relatively good when playing upscaled DVDs. We watched Pearl Harbour on Blu-ray and were impressed by the clarity, colour balance and smooth motion during fast-paced action sequences. When upscaling the The Matrix on DVD to 1080p artefacts were often present in the image. However, the image quality is still much better than standard DVD players can provide for large screens; additionally, the LG BD300 beats the Panasonic DMP-BD35 in this department.
The LG BD300 has HDMI 1.3 output that supports uncompressed 7.1-channel audio. The analog audio options aren't quite as impressive, with stereo RCA composite audio outputs, one digital audio out coaxial port and a digital audio optical output. Even at this price point we'd like to see 5.1-channel analog outputs for surround sound.
The player can decode Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, but you'll need an A/V receiver to really take advantage of this.
The LG BD300 is well worth a look if you're in the market for an entry-level Blu-ray drive with BD-Live compatibility.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCTest LeadNSW
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCWeb Developer (Drupal)SA
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerACT
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- FTJunior Web DeveloperSA
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCx2 AEM Frontend/UI DevelopersVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW