- RGB controls, very good speakers
- Middling performance, swivel requires loosening tiny bolt
The LG 50PY3DF's many strengths and features, including good speakers and a reasonable price, may help it find it a place on the TV stands of some homes despite its middle-of-the-road performance.
Price$ 4,499.00 (AUD)
LG's 50PY3DF is well-designed and inexpensive. This 50-inch plasma HDTV performed near the average mark in our tests, earning an overall score of Good.
Colour quality on standard- and high-definition scenes was strong, and brightness and contrast results were okay. Skin tones in a Home and Away segment and in a talk show seemed fairly realistic, though jurors noticed some pixelation. A standard-definition broadcast of a cricket match produced balanced, nicely saturated oranges and greens. The set showed good detail in dark areas of a Lord of the Rings scene.
Among the many connections, the LG 50PY3DF offers three HDMI inputs. A USB port on the left side of the 50PY3DF lets you attach a flash-card reader or a thumb drive and display a photo slideshow on the TV. The remote allows you to control the slideshow settings and advance the photos manually. The TV swivels after you loosen a tiny bolt in the back of the TV. Just above the bolt on the LG set is a thick removable plastic half loop to keep cables bundled together. The TV's display settings buttons are invisible until you lightly press a touch-sensitive pad on the lower right-hand side of the TV beneath the bezel – a novel and visually arresting feature.
A fairly well-organised on-screen display menu lets you adjust the TV's many settings, which include individual red, green, and blue controls under the colour temperature submenu. Colour presets for Dynamic, Standard, and Mild adjust contrast, brightness, and vividness. We found Dynamic to be the most eye-catching setting, but colours were artificially saturated; the other two settings seemed more life-like. Two additional User modes let you program your own custom TV presets. You can access all of these settings through the TV's touch pad or via the remote. The remote control has no backlight, and its buttons – some arranged in a rectangular grid and some in an arc – seem cramped. However, they did aid us in getting around the extensive OSD menu.
The built-in speakers are installed on the sides of the TV, making the panel somewhat wider than on other TVs of the same size. Nonetheless, it may be a good compromise, because the speakers produced rich sounds in scenes from Phantom of the Opera.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
- NHK's latest 8K display is large, thin and beautiful
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCTest Reporter - Gold CoastQLD
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- CCIT Support TechnicianNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD