- Solid software, fast text printing
- Balance not quite right, poor copy quality
This package distinguishes itself by offering a good software suite that would benefit anyone who has not had much experience with a multi-function device. It is highly recommended for the small office, although for photo printing you may have to tinker with the colour balance of your photos first to get good results.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- #34 18C0034 High Yield Black Print Cartridge 107.99
The X7170 looks and feels like it belongs in an office environment, and its features are appropriate for a small office that requires printing, scanning, photocopying and faxing capabilities. It's solidly built, with a curved paper path for the front loading paper tray, and it relies on a two-cartridge ink system to produce its output. It also has a PictBridge port, which enables photos to be printed directly from a camera that supports this interface.
Like the Lexmark P6250, this printer's photo output was a little too yellow during our tests. You may have to adjust your photo's colour balance before printing. Its text printing was also not as sharp as some of its counterparts on the highest quality setting, although it was able to finish a full page of text in this mode in only 32 seconds. To save time and ink, the quick print mode can be used, which will produce slightly muddy, yet easily readable text for proofing. Conveniently, the printer driver defaults to printing pages in reverse order, and it also allows for manual two-sided printing.
Colour scanning provided some good results in our tests, and our glossy photos scanned in with accurate detail and colour tones. Greyscale input was adequate too, but slightly lacking in detail. A4-size scans in either colour or greyscale did not take more than 28 seconds to complete. OCR software is provided with this unite Lexmark, and its interface allows you to directly compare the scanned text to the original document side-by-side to find any errors.
Copies can be made via the flatbed or the automatic document feeder. Copy quality was disappointing, though, with reproduced photos lacking some detail and displaying saturated colours. Photocopies of text were also slightly muddy, but readable.
The X7170 has a well designed console and a two-line LCD shows you the status of the machine and its settings. The supplied Lexmark Productivity Suite software provides a task-based interface for managing documents, scanning, printing, copying and faxing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
- This 3D printer can rival standard manufacturing on the factory floor
- HP's new printers move the paper not the ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSr. Project ManagerVIC
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCAzure DeveloperNSW
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- FTSharepoint DeveloperACT
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCSolution Architect - JULY STARTACT
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- FTOIM Specialist- Oracle Identity and Access Management 11Gr2NSW
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/JAVA/Oracle) 160504/SA/vtdAsia