Lexmark Prestige Pro805 inkjet multifunction
This business-focussed inkjet multifunction printer offers Lexmark's SmartSolutions feature
- Automatic duplexer, easy to use touch screen, cloud-based printer settings, good networking capabilities
- Slow print speeds, poor print quality, some SmartSolutions widgets aren't Mac compatible, no bundled photo printing software
Though relatively expensive, Lexmark's new mid-range inkjet multifunction is easy to use and manage thanks to a large touch screen and SmartSolutions widgets. Unfortunately, it is hampered by poor print quality and slow speeds.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Prestige Pro805 is Lexmark's newest mid-range business inkjet multifunction. It offers USB, Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity and a multi-card reader supporting SD, MemoryStick, xD and MMC. Its touch screen and SmartSolutions widgets make it easy to use, but we weren't impressed by its speed and print quality.
The Lexmark Prestige Pro805's PictBridge USB port can read from flash drives and print photos as well as Word documents and PDFs (unlike the Canon PIXMA MP640).
Once print drivers have been installed you can easily scan to computers over Ethernet or Wi-Fi, and you can even e-mail scanned images directly from the Prestige Pro805. The contents of memory cards and flash drives can be accessed when the printer is connected directly to a PC via USB or over a network. They don't appear as shared network folders, but Lexmark provides its own utility that lets you access files.
Quick access buttons on the control panel are only visible when they are usable.
The Lexmark Prestige Pro805's 4.3in touch screen is easy to use. The screen isn't always as responsive as we would like, but quick access buttons (cancel, start and home) conveniently disappear when they aren’t an available option.
The multifunction boasts Lexmark's new SmartSolutions feature. This allows you to download and install widgets on the printer via the SmartSolutions Web site — Google Calendar, RSS feeds and photo viewers, for example (the process is quite similar to installing widgets on the Chumby Chumby). Some widgets like "Scan to Email" and "Eco Copy" allow you to create specific settings profiles for the printer, for example scanning and sending to a particular e-mail address with one press. A Web-based interface could be used for a similar purpose, but the easy set up and ability to sync the same widgets to multiple printers make SmartSolutions useful for printer administrators.
The SmartSolutions Web site lets you configure widgets for your Lexmark printer.
Though the site works on both Windows and Mac OS X, not all widgets are platform agnostic. For instance, Lexmark's much touted "Business Card Scan" widget — which scans, OCRs and automatically inserts contact information into selected address book applications — can only be installed using Windows.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|Lexmark Prestige Pro805||$499||Inkjet||16.2||6.6||14.5||2.5||42||2|
|HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless||$499||Inkjet||22.7||14.6||22.9||8.9||31||1m 10s|
|Canon PIXMA MP980||$449||Inkjet||13.8||9.6||7.8||3.2||19.1||59.1s|
|Epson Stylus Photo TX800FW||$399||Inkjet||25||8.6||25||8.9||24.5||1m 9s|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|Kodak ESP 7||$299||Inkjet||12.4||3.9||11.8||3.1||37.1||2|
Lexmark's Prestige Pro805 isn't the fastest printer available at this price point. However, its draft-quality documents are more readable than those produced by the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless. Unfortunately, its overall print quality is below average. Text isn't very accurate, but it is readable at all font sizes. Colours in graphics are highly saturated. Even when dry retain they an inky look that easily warps standard 80gsm paper. Photo quality is usable for basic presentation documents, but certainly won't suit the professional. Black levels are good but lack detail.
Lexmark doesn't bundle any photo printing software with the Prestige Pro805 inkjet multifunction, so you'll have to suffice with third-party programs or basic print settings.
Using Lexmark’s high yield consumables, you can expect a running cost of 23c per A4 page from the Prestige Pro805 inkjet multifunction; this is quite high for a printer at this price point.
Though the SmartSolutions widgets mean you won't have to constantly fiddle with scan settings, you can access them on the printer when necessary. There is also an e-mail address book and history, so you can quickly send scanned images to co-workers, for example. The scanned images themselves are detailed and of good quality, though the 600dpi maximum resolution won't suit specialist tasks like scanning negatives and slides.
The touch screen and SmartSolutions features of the Lexmark Prestige Pro805 inkjet multifunction make it easy to use and manage, but this printer fails to print well or quickly. Nevertheless, those looking for an easy-to-use multifunction with one-touch settings profiles may want to take a look.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC