Lexmark Interact S605 inkjet multifunction
An inkjet multifunction printer with Lexmark's SmartSolutions widgets
- 802.11n Wi-Fi, touch-sensitive control panel, SmartSolutions Web-enabled widgets, prints documents from USB flash drives
- Expensive consumables, no automatic document feeder, poor colour print quality
The Lexmark Interact S605 provides plenty of high-tech features like a touch-sensitive control panel, 802.11n Wi-Fi and Web-enabled widgets. However, expensive consumables and poor colour print quality dampen this printer’s appeal.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Interact S605 is Lexmark’s range-topping inkjet multifunction printer for the home office. Boasting a handy SmartSolutions touch screen and automatic duplexing (double-sided printing), this printer is good for basic printing and offers one-touch access to advanced features such as business card scanning and print presets. However, even with these features its high price tag is a bit hard to accept.
The Lexmark Interact S605 inkjet multifunction looks like it's been cheaply made; it doesn't feel especially solid, either. Resembling the bargain bin X4650, the Interact S605 lacks an automatic document feeder or even a front paper cassette. Paper is only fed through a rear tray, so it will need some headroom and can’t be placed in cramped spaces.
The Lexmark Interact S605 multifunction printer provides USB connectivity and integrated 802.11n Wi-Fi, but lacks an Ethernet port. The embedded multi-card reader supports SD, MMC, xD and MemoryStick media, while a front-mounted USB port accepts both PictBridge-compatible devices and USB flash drives. The printer can scan to devices attached to the USB port, as well as print photos and even Word documents and PDFs from them.
Lexmark’s major selling point on the Interact S605 is the touch-sensitive control panel, which replaces the standard array of buttons and navigation pads. As on the Prestige Pro805, the touch-screen interface is largely implemented well, thanks to a vibrant display and quick access buttons which are only visible when a particular feature can be accessed. The screen does require some pressure to register commands, but it works well.
The SmartSolutions Web site lets you configure widgets for your Lexmark printer.
The Interact S605 inkjet multifunction comes with Lexmark’s SmartSolutions feature, which allows you to install widgets. These are configured through a personalised user account on the SmartSolutions Web site, where you can choose from a selection of widgets including RSS feeds, photo viewers and one-touch preset printing preferences. Unfortunately, some widgets like “Business Card Scan” require Windows-only software. However, the ability to configure and deploy the same widgets for more than one printer is certainly beneficial if you have several compatible multifunctions.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|Lexmark Interact S605||$399||Inkjet||18.1||10.1||14.2||2.3||39||1m58s|
|Lexmark Prestige Pro805||$499||Inkjet||16.2||6.6||14.5||2.5||42||2|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|Kodak ESP 7||$299||Inkjet||12.4||3.9||11.8||3.1||37.1||2|
|Epson Stylus Photo TX800FW||$399||Inkjet||25||8.6||25||8.9||24.5||1m 9s|
|Canon PIXMA MP990||$449||Inkjet||13.8||11.6||10.2||3.8||15.8s||1m7s|
|HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless||$499||Inkjet||22.7||14.6||22.9||8.9||31||1m 10s|
The Lexmark Interact S605 is reasonably quick to produce monochrome text documents, and the results are quite accurate. Colour is vibrant, but graphical documents can appear too inky. As a result, text superimposed on a coloured background won't look the best.
Colour photos suffer from a high amount of banding which ruins the look of an otherwise decent image. Black and white photos aren’t fantastic either, as blacks tend to look grey and lack detail. Lexmark doesn’t bundle any photo printing software with the Interact S605 inkjet multifunction, so you’ll have to use third-party software.
The Lexmark Interact S605 provides vibrant scans; it's suitable for scanning photos as well as documents. It can scan directly to e-mail provided the printer is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
A rather high running cost of 23c per A4 page makes the Interact S605 inkjet multifunction an expensive choice in the long run as well as at the register. For the price, you’ll get decent scanning as well as handy features like SmartSolutions widgets, but little that is truly outstanding.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTFull Stack PHP Developer - Focus on Front EndQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA EngineerNSW
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW