Lexmark Interact S605 inkjet multifunction
An inkjet multifunction printer with Lexmark's SmartSolutions widgets
- 802.11n Wi-Fi, touch-sensitive control panel, SmartSolutions Web-enabled widgets, prints documents from USB flash drives
- Expensive consumables, no automatic document feeder, poor colour print quality
The Lexmark Interact S605 provides plenty of high-tech features like a touch-sensitive control panel, 802.11n Wi-Fi and Web-enabled widgets. However, expensive consumables and poor colour print quality dampen this printer’s appeal.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
The Interact S605 is Lexmark’s range-topping inkjet multifunction printer for the home office. Boasting a handy SmartSolutions touch screen and automatic duplexing (double-sided printing), this printer is good for basic printing and offers one-touch access to advanced features such as business card scanning and print presets. However, even with these features its high price tag is a bit hard to accept.
The Lexmark Interact S605 inkjet multifunction looks like it's been cheaply made; it doesn't feel especially solid, either. Resembling the bargain bin X4650, the Interact S605 lacks an automatic document feeder or even a front paper cassette. Paper is only fed through a rear tray, so it will need some headroom and can’t be placed in cramped spaces.
The Lexmark Interact S605 multifunction printer provides USB connectivity and integrated 802.11n Wi-Fi, but lacks an Ethernet port. The embedded multi-card reader supports SD, MMC, xD and MemoryStick media, while a front-mounted USB port accepts both PictBridge-compatible devices and USB flash drives. The printer can scan to devices attached to the USB port, as well as print photos and even Word documents and PDFs from them.
Lexmark’s major selling point on the Interact S605 is the touch-sensitive control panel, which replaces the standard array of buttons and navigation pads. As on the Prestige Pro805, the touch-screen interface is largely implemented well, thanks to a vibrant display and quick access buttons which are only visible when a particular feature can be accessed. The screen does require some pressure to register commands, but it works well.
The SmartSolutions Web site lets you configure widgets for your Lexmark printer.
The Interact S605 inkjet multifunction comes with Lexmark’s SmartSolutions feature, which allows you to install widgets. These are configured through a personalised user account on the SmartSolutions Web site, where you can choose from a selection of widgets including RSS feeds, photo viewers and one-touch preset printing preferences. Unfortunately, some widgets like “Business Card Scan” require Windows-only software. However, the ability to configure and deploy the same widgets for more than one printer is certainly beneficial if you have several compatible multifunctions.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|Lexmark Interact S605||$399||Inkjet||18.1||10.1||14.2||2.3||39||1m58s|
|Lexmark Prestige Pro805||$499||Inkjet||16.2||6.6||14.5||2.5||42||2|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|Kodak ESP 7||$299||Inkjet||12.4||3.9||11.8||3.1||37.1||2|
|Epson Stylus Photo TX800FW||$399||Inkjet||25||8.6||25||8.9||24.5||1m 9s|
|Canon PIXMA MP990||$449||Inkjet||13.8||11.6||10.2||3.8||15.8s||1m7s|
|HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless||$499||Inkjet||22.7||14.6||22.9||8.9||31||1m 10s|
The Lexmark Interact S605 is reasonably quick to produce monochrome text documents, and the results are quite accurate. Colour is vibrant, but graphical documents can appear too inky. As a result, text superimposed on a coloured background won't look the best.
Colour photos suffer from a high amount of banding which ruins the look of an otherwise decent image. Black and white photos aren’t fantastic either, as blacks tend to look grey and lack detail. Lexmark doesn’t bundle any photo printing software with the Interact S605 inkjet multifunction, so you’ll have to use third-party software.
The Lexmark Interact S605 provides vibrant scans; it's suitable for scanning photos as well as documents. It can scan directly to e-mail provided the printer is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
A rather high running cost of 23c per A4 page makes the Interact S605 inkjet multifunction an expensive choice in the long run as well as at the register. For the price, you’ll get decent scanning as well as handy features like SmartSolutions widgets, but little that is truly outstanding.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple slates March 21 event, with 4-in. iPhone likely on the stage
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Australian Government issues security warning to Apple users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- CCIncident ManagerSA
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCPre-Sales Consulting Business AnalystVIC
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia