Lexar Media JumpDrive Secure II Plus (8GB)
8GB thumb-drive with capacity meter
- 8GB, storage meter will indicate the available capacity even after you unplug it, encryption software
- Doesn't ship with a lanyard
For less than $80, this 8GB USB key will give you ample space for storage, as well as a couple of cool extras such as a capacity indicator and encryption software.
Price$ 79.10 (AUD)
'JumpDrive Secure II Plus' is one heck of a long title for a tiny USB thumb-drive, but Lexar's naming of this product is reflective of its capabilities.
Taking the product name at face value, you can assume that the JumpDrive comes with some sort of software that allows you to encrypt and password protect your data. And you'd be right. It ships with a utility called, funnily enough, Secure II, which lets you create encrypted vaults up to 4GB in size in which you can store all your 'for your eyes only' documents. Secure II runs off the thumb-drive — it doesn't need to be installed — and lets you mount and unmount encrypted vaults on any PC that you use (it also works with Macs running OS X).
Not only that, Secure II can encrypt individual files and it also has a shredder utility. This is handy for when you're changing jobs and wish to rid your work PC of any personal files that have accumulated over time, for example, so that they can't be recovered. Judging by how fast it shredded files during our test, we'd say it writes over deleted files only once. It would be nice to be able to specify how many times a file should be written over.
Now moving on to the 'Plus' portion of the model name, which suggests that there's more to the JumpDrive than just a security utility; and there most definitely is more. A little storage meter is located on the cover of the thumb-drive, which allows you to see how much space is left on the drive. A long white line means that there is plenty of space left, while a shorter line means that the drive is nearing its capacity. This meter maintains the capacity reading even after you unplug it, which is very convenient.
Physically, the drive is made out of plastic and doesn't have any protective measures such as a rubberised case. A blue LED illuminates the Lexar logo on the drive, which lets you know that everything is working fine once you've plugged it into a computer.
When it comes to speed, the 8GB version of the JumpDrive isn't as fast as the 4GB version. It wrote data at a rate of 4.27MBps and read it at a rate of 14.36MBps. But this is faster than what the 8GB KingMax U-Drive 8GB managed. The drive can be used to speed up a Vista-based computer using ReadyBoost.
At 8GB (7.45GB formatted capacity), the JumpDrive has enough space to store up to 5321min worth of 192Kbps-encoded MP3s, and with a retail price of $79.10, its cost per formatted gigabyte is just over $10, which is one dollar better value per gigabyte than the 4GB version.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - (Customer Platforms)NSW
- FTSenior BI AnalystQLD
- CCIT Information ArchitectNSW
- FTSolution ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplication Services AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Manager - DigitalisationQLD
- FTReporting DeveloperSA
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Engineer | MSP backgroundVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTMobile Studio Lead/ Mobile UX LeadNSW
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieQLD
- FTIT Security RolesACT
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- FTDrupal Web DeveloperACT
- CCCommercial ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTHealthcare Application Integration Support - Brisbane BasedWA
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- TPIT Service ManagerNSW