Lexar Media JumpDrive Lightning USB Key (4GB)
- 4GB of storage, PowerToGo application, Lifetime warranty
- Fingerprint magnet
The Lexar Lightning does pretty much everything you could want or expect from a USB flash drive -- combining lots of storage with a fast and reliable performance.
Price$ 76.75 (AUD)
Choosing which USB flash drive to buy isn't something most people give a huge amount of thought to. After all, they all do pretty much the same thing, right? Actually, there are quite a few variables worth considering before you adopt one of these little guys, including size, speed, storage space, style and strength. (The Five Ss, if you will.)
The Lexar Lightning does a fair job in all of these categories, offering a tough, attractively small product with 4GB of storage space (1 and 2GB models are also available). As its name suggests, it's no slouch in the agility stakes either; delivering reliably fast reading and writing speeds even with considerably large files.
Like the rest of Lexar's flash drive range, the Lightning uses PowerToGo Virtual Application software. This is a specially designed platform that allows you to install pretty much any Windows application and run it directly from the USB drive. Along with giving you access to the tools and programs you need, this also means you can surf the web and check emails without leaving any trace on the PC you're using -- cookies, internet history and temporary files are generated on the flash drive, leaving zero trace on the host computer. If you regularly access business documents while travelling -- or just like to bludge at work -- this feature is a big plus. 256-bit AES encryption software and a file shredding utility are also included on the drive for the extra security-conscious.
With its classy compact design and elegant glossy finish, the Lexar Lightning is a curiously ladylike product -- indeed, it would look right at home in somebody's makeup bag, which is either a good or bad thing depending on your tastes. A blue LED light in the centre of the drive keeps you abreast of the Lightning's reading/writing activity. It's probably also worth noting that the Lightning picks up more fingerprints than the average crime lab; if this sort of thing is important to you, we'd recommend carrying the included cleaning cloth around at all times.
While we can't attest to the unit's durability, the titanium casing certainly looks robust enough. The built-in key ring and lifetime warranty are also good indicators that it will be up for some rough treatment. Despite this, we found the lid's plastic interior to be a bit flimsy, which is something to be fairly mindful of.
According to Lexar, the 4GB Lightning is capable of storing up to 4,000 photos, 65 hours of music, and 540 minutes of video. From our tests, this seems like a fairly accurate assessment -- granted that you don't store any other applications and software on the drive.
All up, the Lexar Lightning is an excellent portable storage device that should satisfy the needs of almost any user. It combines speed, strength and storage space into an elegantly shaped package.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTTelecommunications Installation ManagerSA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- FTAsst. Director - Claim AnalysisACT
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSoftware ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer - CCNP - WeipaQLD
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerACT
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTTest AnalystACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Wealth Advice/SuperannuationNSW
- TPApplication Support EngineerQLD