Lexar Media Jumpdrive Lightning
Great software, blistering transfer speeds, and on-board encryption make the JumpDrive Lightning a winning USB memory key.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
USB memory keys are fantastic for moving files around between locations, but the relatively slow read and write speeds of flash media mean that it can take quite a while to fill a 2 or even 1GB memory key.
Straight from the box, Lexar's polished stainless steel JumpDrive Lightning oozes class. The device measures 7 x 2 x 1 centimetres; approximately the same size as a cigarette lighter. The Lightning offers superior speed over conventional memory keys, and Lexar attributes this performance to its use of high-quality NAND MLC memory. Lexar claims transfer speeds of up to 22MB/sec for reading and 15MB/sec for writing data and boasts that the key will hold data up to 10-times longer than competing products. These are bold claims, but the company is confident enough to offer a lifetime warranty on the keys.
The JumpDrive comes with a slick "Dashboard" software application to help configure functions like file synchronization and encryption. It works beautifully and is one of the biggest benefits of the key as it greatly simplifies and encourages the use of the drive's functions beyond simple file storage. The JumpDrive can be set to synchronise data when plugged into a machine, helping automate the process of dragging files back and forth between two locations for work or study and reducing the risk of taking the wrong file to work on.
It's also possible to encrypt files to protect them from prying eyes. The encryption is first class - 256-bit AES - and encrypted files can be stored alongside unencrypted ones on the key, so there's no need to create a separate partition.
While the file encryption and synchronization are handy, the noteworthy feature is the Lightning's speed. In testing, the key took 36 seconds to transfer 500MB of data from the hard disk to the JumpDrive via USB 2.0, at an average rate of 13.9 MB/sec. The return trip was even more impressive, with the 100MB data set taking around 25 seconds from memory key to hard disk (20 MB/sec).
If you're sick of waiting around files to transfer, the Lightning is available in 2GB and 4GB capacities, and offers plenty of extra features above and beyond raw speed.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA