Lexar Media Jumpdrive Lightning
Great software, blistering transfer speeds, and on-board encryption make the JumpDrive Lightning a winning USB memory key.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
USB memory keys are fantastic for moving files around between locations, but the relatively slow read and write speeds of flash media mean that it can take quite a while to fill a 2 or even 1GB memory key.
Straight from the box, Lexar's polished stainless steel JumpDrive Lightning oozes class. The device measures 7 x 2 x 1 centimetres; approximately the same size as a cigarette lighter. The Lightning offers superior speed over conventional memory keys, and Lexar attributes this performance to its use of high-quality NAND MLC memory. Lexar claims transfer speeds of up to 22MB/sec for reading and 15MB/sec for writing data and boasts that the key will hold data up to 10-times longer than competing products. These are bold claims, but the company is confident enough to offer a lifetime warranty on the keys.
The JumpDrive comes with a slick "Dashboard" software application to help configure functions like file synchronization and encryption. It works beautifully and is one of the biggest benefits of the key as it greatly simplifies and encourages the use of the drive's functions beyond simple file storage. The JumpDrive can be set to synchronise data when plugged into a machine, helping automate the process of dragging files back and forth between two locations for work or study and reducing the risk of taking the wrong file to work on.
It's also possible to encrypt files to protect them from prying eyes. The encryption is first class - 256-bit AES - and encrypted files can be stored alongside unencrypted ones on the key, so there's no need to create a separate partition.
While the file encryption and synchronization are handy, the noteworthy feature is the Lightning's speed. In testing, the key took 36 seconds to transfer 500MB of data from the hard disk to the JumpDrive via USB 2.0, at an average rate of 13.9 MB/sec. The return trip was even more impressive, with the 100MB data set taking around 25 seconds from memory key to hard disk (20 MB/sec).
If you're sick of waiting around files to transfer, the Lightning is available in 2GB and 4GB capacities, and offers plenty of extra features above and beyond raw speed.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- CCSoftware Licensing AnalystVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperACT
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, Service Performance, RetailNSW
- FTSOA Tech LeadNSW
- CCSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTProject Manager - Web ContentVIC
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCWeb DeveloperACT