Lexar Media 360
- Brilliant cap-free design, PowerToGo software, Compact size
- 2GB maximum, Hinge feels a little flimsy
The Lexar 360 is sure to win a lot of fans due to its stylish yet functional design. If you're sick of losing the caps to your flash drives, then the 360 is tailor-made for you.
Price$ 44.95 (AUD)
When it comes to overall design, most USB flash drives fall into two separate categories -- boring and stupid. The former refers to any number of identikit models that have zero personality, while the latter includes everything from plastic fruit replicas to Swiss army knives. It truly is a rare thing for a drive to combine functionality and unique looks in one package, which is why we're so enamored with the Lexar 360 -- finally, an unusual design that actually serves a purpose!
The Lexar 360 is encased in a rotating metal jacket via a sturdy plastic hinge. Rather like a pocket knife, the drive swings out of the jacket during use, and has 360 degrees of rotation. This effectively eliminates the need for a cap, which is a big plus for people who work in a cluttered office or are just naturally forgetful. Indeed, we can't tell you the amount of times we've misplaced those tiny hard-to-find lids, so the lack of a cap is definitely appreciated.
In addition to allowing a lidless design, the swivel mechanic also means that the 360 is noticeably smaller than the typical flash drive. This makes it ideal for carrying around on your key ring, with a built-in loop handily provided for this very purpose. A blue LED light resides under the plastic hinge, hidden from sight. This causes the hinge to light up subtly while the drive is in use; a classy and elegant touch.
Included on the Lexar 360's drive is PowerToGo, an application that lets you store and access Windows-based software from almost any PC. One of the benefits of this application is that you can use Internet Explorer or similar devices without leaving any traces on the computer your 360 is plugged into. All data, including emails, cookies, history and favourites, remain safely on the drive. You can also use the PowerToGo taskbar to add certified programs directly from Lexar's website, including Skype, Google Talk and Mozilla Firefox.
For the security-conscious, Secure II is included on the drive; an advanced security software tool which lets you create encryption vaults and multiple passwords to keep selected documents hidden.
In terms of speed, the 360 reads and writes at a fairly zippy pace. We transferred 450MB of assorted Word documents and JPEG files in one hit, which took a little under three minutes. According to Lexar, the 360 is capable of minimum sustained speeds of 10MB/s write and 15MB/s read; which should satisfy all but the most impatient technophile.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Process Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior System AdministratorQLD
- CCFull Stack Developers x4!QLD
- CCEngineer/Developer - Comptel - TelcoVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSQL Server Database DeveloperSA
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTAudio Visual / Video Solution Architect | $100 p/hrVIC
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- FTChief Security OfficerNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystSA
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystVIC
- FTDeveloper - Python, Ruby, or PerlQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Mobile ApplicationsQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- CCEnd User Services ArchitectNSW
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieNSW