Legend Performance Technology LPVRC
- Twin standard definition digital tuners
- Proprietary file format, some aesthetic design issues
Though Legend has done a good job in fitting two tuners into the LPVRC, some design faults hold it back from the mainstream.
Price$ 629.00 (AUD)
The Legend LPVRC digital TV receiver sports dual standard definition digital TV tuners, so it's possible to watch one channel while recording another. The usual PVR functions are present, including the ability to timeshift, pause and rewind live TV, with a buffer of up to 90 minutes.
The silver device features a clean, elegant appearance, and would be at home in most modern home theatre environments. It's roughly the same size as a DVD player, and weighs 3.5kg. The front panel includes a small display; however, it's limited to showing four characters and is of little use beyond indicating the current channel. The front face offers power, EPG, menu, OK and navigation buttons, while the rear houses the connections. Two sets of antenna connectors accompany two SCART connectors, composite, component and S-Video out interfaces, along with RCA and both S/PDIF and coaxial digital audio outputs.
A USB port is also present, which makes it possible to transport MP3 and JPEG files to and from the device, and it comes in handy for setting up photo slide shows or music playlists for parties.
The LPVRC can be configured to download updates over the Internet, and is designed to support an EPG, with IceTV functionality slated for later in 2005.
One minor drawback is the fact that the Legend device records in a proprietary format, so you need to convert recordings to a watchable format before playback on a PC. By default, the included 160GB hard disk can store up to 80 hours of recordings, with a 400GB model also available capable of storing up to 200 hours. You can always archive footage off using the USB port, and then later burn it to DVD, but there's no Ethernet connection to directly transfer data over a network.
The USB port isn't the only design flaw: there's also a fold-down port cover at the front of the machine, but there's nothing behind it. While the machine works quite well in operation, the lack of attention to detail in the front port cover (which should really hide the poorly positioned USB port) is a little disconcerting. Legend needs to further polish the product before it's ready for mainstream consumption.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCWindows EngineerVIC