Lavasoft Ad-Aware Total Security
The newest addition to the Lavasoft line of security software
- Simple and straightforward interface. Protects against emerging and unknown threats, not just threats that are already known and found via the use of signatures.
- Might not be worth the extra $20 it costs compared to the Pro version
Is it worth paying $49.95 for Ad-Aware Total Security, when the latest Pro version runs only $29.95? Ad-Aware Total Security includes a number of features missing in the Pro version, such as an email scanner, anti-spam, data recovery, scanning of instant message, a personal firewall, parental controls, and a file shredder. Those are useful, but not necessarily essential, so it may not be worth the extra $20 to you. But if you're looking for an all-in-one security suite, Ad-Aware Total Security is worth a try.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Ad-Aware Total Security ($49.95, 30-day free trial), the newest addition to the Lavasoft line of security software, is an all-in-one suite that builds on the longtime anti-spyware favourite Ad-Aware. It adds anti-virus, rootkit detection, a personal firewall, spam protection, parental control software and more. It's essentially the same software as Ad-Aware Free Internet Security or the $29.95 Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro, with extra capabilities bolted on.
Like the other software in the line, Ad-Aware Total Security includes heuristics detection, and so examines complex system behaviour, rather than just looking for known malware signatures. In this way, it can protect against emerging and unknown threats, not just threats that are already known and found via the use of signatures. New in this version is the Genotype heuristics detection system, which Lavasoft claims is superior to its previous heuristics. PCWorld has not yet tested this product's antivirus feature, and thus cannot offer an opinion about this feature's usefulness.
As with all Ad-Aware products, the interface for Ad-Aware Total Security is simple and straightforward. The main screen displays basic information about the state of your security, including when you last performed a virus check and when you last updated the program and anti-virus signatures. There's also a tabbed section for delving deeper into the program, including for e-mail and anti-spam protection as well as enabling parental controls, which are disabled by default.
Note that the first time you run a scan with Ad-Aware Total Security, and the program updates its signatures and similar information, it can take a very long time. It took more than an hour on my system. Subsequent runs took fifteen to thirty minutes.
If you're the kind of person who likes to tinker, you'll be pleased with the many customisations available to you. For example, you can have the virus-scanner pause during times of high system load. Also useful is a CPU load indicator, which displays how much of your system's CPU is being used over time, as well as how much of the CPU Ad-Aware Total Security takes up.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDelivery Project ManagerVIC
- FTTelecommunications Installation ManagerSA
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- TPSenior SQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- CCAMI ArchitectWA
- FTRecruitment ConsultantSA
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- CCMaster Data Analyst - SAPNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Netapp/Windows)NSW
- FTICT Program Manager- Transformation - Gov backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Devops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Agile Test AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- FTTeam AssistantVIC
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Technical & FunctionalACT
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- FTSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW