Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free 8.3
Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free 8.3, one of the most popular spyware killers on the planet, just got better: It's not just an anti-spyware killer any more.
- Free, heuristic detection, customisation options for advanced users
- No comprehensive real-time protection
There is only one real drawback to Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free 8.3. It doesn't provide real-time comprehensive protection, which means that to keep yourself safe, you'll have to regularly scan your system. (It provides basic real-time protection, but that doesn't include Registry protection, or real-time behaviour-based heuristic scanning.) For full real-time protection you can get the pay for Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro or the new, and more expensive, Ad-Aware Total Security.
Ad-Aware Free Internet Security, one of the most popular spyware killers on the planet, just got better: It's not just an anti-spyware killer any more. The newest version, 8.3, adds anti-virus capabilities to its already very good job of detecting and killing spyware while keeping a low profile. It was previously known as Ad-Aware Free.
The newest version 8.3, as with the previous version, protects against rootkits, stealth attacks designed to escape detection and burrow their way into the operating system. Ad-Aware Free Internet Security also includes several types of heuristic detection, which protects you by examining complex system behaviour, rather than just looking for known malware signatures. If the program's heuristics work as well as do the heuristics in other anti-malware software, it should provide better protection against emerging and unknown threats, as well as threats that are already known.
New to this version is Genotype heuristics detection system, which Lavasoft claims is superior to its previous heuristics. PCWorld has not yet lab-tested this software and cannot offer an opinion on the antivirus feature's efficacy.
As in version 8.2, Ad-Aware Free promises to protect you against malware that tries to restore itself after a system reboot. Also useful is a "Simple mode" that lets you set your configuration once, and never have to do it again. If you prefer, you can toggle to Advanced Mode, where you can select advanced features for customisation. Ad-Aware Free Internet Security is as simple to use as previous versions. Tell it to scan your system, and it finds spyware and other malware, and then deletes it or quarantines it for you. New in this version is the ability to schedule scans.
There is one drawback to Ad-Aware Free Internet Security. It doesn't provide real-time comprehensive protection, which means that to keep yourself safe, you'll have to regularly scan your system. (It provides basic real-time protection, but that doesn't include Registry protection, or real-time behavior-based heuristic scanning.) For full real-time protection you can get the $30 Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro or the new $50 Ad-Aware Total Internet Security.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- CCSystems Engineer - WintelQLD
- CCSoftware ManagerVIC
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Infrastructure - NV1 ClearanceACT
- FTDrupal Web DeveloperACT
- CCFull Stack Developers x4!QLD
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW
- CCCommercial ManagerVIC
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTProduct Manager - IoTNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst Forecaster - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTICT Relationship Manager - Service Delivery EnvironmentNSW
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- TPSAS DeveloperWA
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTICT Transformation Integration ManagerNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTTechnical Lead - FinTech - Product DevelopmentNSW