Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus
- Easy to navigate, TrackSweep deletes browser surfing history
- Failed to detect all our active spyware, failed to disinfect our active adware
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is a definite step up from the freeware version, but its lacklustre performance would send us searching elsewhere for help.
Price$ 40.50 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is the paid version of the popular scanner Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Free. Despite Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's name, Lavasoft says that the program combats spyware as well as adware. For the $40.50 price, you get automatic updates, scheduled scans, and real-time protection that's missing from the free product - however, in our tests Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus failed to meet basic performance expectations.
At the time we evaluated it, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus was not available for Windows Vista, so we tested it on a Windows XP machine. (Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus Vista version launched shortly before we went to press.)
In tests performed by AV-Test.org, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus failed to detect (let alone disinfect) nine of our 10 active spyware samples. While Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus uncovered all 10 active adware samples, it disinfected just 35 per cent of their files and Registry entries.
Presented with a massive batch of 110,380 inactive adware and spyware samples, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's on-demand scanner managed to detect fewer than 2 per cent of them. Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus doesn't provide protection against rootkits, either.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus detected changes to the Internet Explorer home and search pages. But it failed to detect changes to the Hosts file and additions to the Startup folder.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is easy to navigate and its TrackSweep feature erases browser surfing history from Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. Unfortunately, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's two-pronged design creates needless complications.
You have to configure the Ad-Watch component, which handles real-time monitoring and proactive protection, separately from the rest of the program. Also, the Swedish-based company does not offer telephone support to Australian users.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCData ScientistVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (UNIX/Windows) 161028/ITA/003Asia
- CCProject Manager - Payroll SystemsSA
- FTLevel 2 Application SupportVIC
- FTAX Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCWeb Content EditorQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Procurement SpecialistVIC
- FTUX Design LeadNSW
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- CCSAP ERP ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Siebel Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Perl Developer | Infrastructure | TelecomNSW
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Security EngineerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- FTSOE ConsultantACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (System Backup Operation) 161014/ITA/523Asia
- FTSoftware Development ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Support DeveloperVIC
- CCPOS EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW