Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus
- Easy to navigate, TrackSweep deletes browser surfing history
- Failed to detect all our active spyware, failed to disinfect our active adware
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is a definite step up from the freeware version, but its lacklustre performance would send us searching elsewhere for help.
Price$ 40.50 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is the paid version of the popular scanner Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Free. Despite Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's name, Lavasoft says that the program combats spyware as well as adware. For the $40.50 price, you get automatic updates, scheduled scans, and real-time protection that's missing from the free product - however, in our tests Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus failed to meet basic performance expectations.
At the time we evaluated it, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus was not available for Windows Vista, so we tested it on a Windows XP machine. (Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus Vista version launched shortly before we went to press.)
In tests performed by AV-Test.org, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus failed to detect (let alone disinfect) nine of our 10 active spyware samples. While Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus uncovered all 10 active adware samples, it disinfected just 35 per cent of their files and Registry entries.
Presented with a massive batch of 110,380 inactive adware and spyware samples, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's on-demand scanner managed to detect fewer than 2 per cent of them. Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus doesn't provide protection against rootkits, either.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus detected changes to the Internet Explorer home and search pages. But it failed to detect changes to the Hosts file and additions to the Startup folder.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is easy to navigate and its TrackSweep feature erases browser surfing history from Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. Unfortunately, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's two-pronged design creates needless complications.
You have to configure the Ad-Watch component, which handles real-time monitoring and proactive protection, separately from the rest of the program. Also, the Swedish-based company does not offer telephone support to Australian users.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How Microsoft is building on Windows 10, and why developers care
- Google Chrome dethrones Internet Explorer to become undisputed browser champion
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Facebook gives Windows 10 a hug with new Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram apps
- Elon Musk says Tesla’s next-gen Model 4 will be affordable for everyone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCUX Designer and UX ResearcherVIC
- FTGeneral Manager: Applications DevelopmentVIC
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- CCMEAN Stack DeveloperVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW