Laser USB PC Webcam
- Can be used with both laptop and desktop computers, simple to use
- Picture quality isn’t going to blow you away
A cleverly designed and easy to use webcam that also happens to be cheap
Price$ 39.00 (AUD)
The idea of being able to hold a video conversation with someone on the other side of the world is a nice one. These days it's all too easy with the cost of webcams falling and their availability increasing. For many people, a webcam isn't going to be a luxury item anymore. This is where Laser steps in. Laser provides a basic, yet decent webcam at a rock bottom price.
The design of Laser's webcam is pretty clever. Managing to kill two birds with one stone, the camera can be used with both desktop PCs and laptops. This feature if rather convenient for those that frequently move their webcam between the two. The way Laser have achieved this is incredibly simple. The camera is attached to a clip that can either grip on to a laptop screen or to the included stand. Once you've positioned the camera, installation is a breeze. There is very little in the way of included software with the camera, so all that's necessary is to run the setup on the included CD and away you go.
To make things even more simple, to activate the camera all that is necessary is to press the silver button on the front of the webcam. This brings up a menu where you can select the program you would like to use. Laser has included a small application called AMCap. The software's primary function is to record video to disk, which it does fairly easily. Using the camera as an actual webcam can be done easily through programs such as MSN Messenger, where it works simply and effectively.
Nobody is going to be blown away by the picture quality of the camera, but it's by no means bad. The 350k pixel CMOS sensor does the job nicely, allowing a resolution of up to 640x480. The picture quality is clear and crisp though sometimes lags a little. Overall, the camera is cheap, simple to use and of decent quality; everything you'd want in a webcam.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCWintel Engineers - NV1ACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!WA
- CCSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- TPUnix- Technical Support OfficerVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior .NET Developer - Contract roleWA
- TPSAP Finance LeadQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportSA
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTProject AnalystACT
- CCLevel 1 IT Support OfficerACT
- FTDeployment EngineerSA
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject Manager - Digital Banking ProjectQLD
- FTTest LeadNSW
- FTProject Manager - Finance BackgroundQLD
- TPDevOps ManagerVIC