Laplink PCmover 3.0 Migration Software
- Migrates data and applications, includes data transfer cable
- Doesn't handle complex migrations gracefully, unclear instructions
PCmover will migrate your settings and programs well in most circumstances but we did experience some glitches that means you might need to reinstall some programs yourself.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Looking to buy a new Vista PC but don't want to leave your carefully honed Windows XP software image behind? A PC migration application such as Laplink's PCmover 3.0 can -- usually -- help ease your transition.
Like its competitors -- the CA Desktop DNA Migrator and the Detto IntelliMover -- PCmover seeks out and copies common data files, program settings (e-mail accounts, browser favourites, and such), and the files and Registry information that contribute to the look and feel of your PC. Unlike the competition, however, version 3.0 of PCmover takes the process a step further and copies your applications, too. (The Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer Companion that comes with Windows Vista copies only applications -- not settings or data files.)
Transfers can be performed via USB, LAN, or CD/DVD. Laplink includes a USB-to-USB transfer cable with the program -- about a $US40 item otherwise. After installing the software on your old PC and your new one, you simply attach the cable and you're all set to move data.
Four of my five test migrations worked fine. However, I had trouble trying to migrate applications from a 750GB system to one with only 250GB of drive space. I instructed the utility to copy all of my applications, but because I had to deselect several drive partitions from the copy list to save space, PCmover didn't copy the applications on the deselected partitions. This was a rather unusual scenario, but a more intelligent program would have checked where the apps were located, or -- at the very least -- alerted me to the problem.
Other glitches: PCmover didn't copy my Firefox settings; transfers using the cable halted when I merely ejected a CD on the destination PC; and the program refused to resume the halted transfer -- I had to start the entire process over.
PCmover will migrate your settings and programs nicely in most circumstances; just remember that if your image strays from the norm, you might need to reinstall some apps yourself.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FTSCCM Applications PackagerWA
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- FTProject Coordinator- NSW Government - reform BackgroundNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Digital (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA