Laplink PCmover 3.0 Migration Software
- Migrates data and applications, includes data transfer cable
- Doesn't handle complex migrations gracefully, unclear instructions
PCmover will migrate your settings and programs well in most circumstances but we did experience some glitches that means you might need to reinstall some programs yourself.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Migration by Martin Bulmer 253.70
Looking to buy a new Vista PC but don't want to leave your carefully honed Windows XP software image behind? A PC migration application such as Laplink's PCmover 3.0 can -- usually -- help ease your transition.
Like its competitors -- the CA Desktop DNA Migrator and the Detto IntelliMover -- PCmover seeks out and copies common data files, program settings (e-mail accounts, browser favourites, and such), and the files and Registry information that contribute to the look and feel of your PC. Unlike the competition, however, version 3.0 of PCmover takes the process a step further and copies your applications, too. (The Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer Companion that comes with Windows Vista copies only applications -- not settings or data files.)
Transfers can be performed via USB, LAN, or CD/DVD. Laplink includes a USB-to-USB transfer cable with the program -- about a $US40 item otherwise. After installing the software on your old PC and your new one, you simply attach the cable and you're all set to move data.
Four of my five test migrations worked fine. However, I had trouble trying to migrate applications from a 750GB system to one with only 250GB of drive space. I instructed the utility to copy all of my applications, but because I had to deselect several drive partitions from the copy list to save space, PCmover didn't copy the applications on the deselected partitions. This was a rather unusual scenario, but a more intelligent program would have checked where the apps were located, or -- at the very least -- alerted me to the problem.
Other glitches: PCmover didn't copy my Firefox settings; transfers using the cable halted when I merely ejected a CD on the destination PC; and the program refused to resume the halted transfer -- I had to start the entire process over.
PCmover will migrate your settings and programs nicely in most circumstances; just remember that if your image strays from the norm, you might need to reinstall some apps yourself.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
- New field test lets you install Android apps directly from Google search
- Survey says: Almost a third of US consumers on Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCProcurement Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- CCImplementation AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- CC.NET DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- CCBusiness Process Analyst - Supply ChainVIC
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- CCData Migration SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT