LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive
This external hard drive looks stylish thanks to its Philippe Starck enclosure
- Stylish and durable design, good read speeds
- No eSATA or FireWire 800, only basic versions of backup applications included, touch-sensitive area is small
LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive has a striking design. However, it only offers a USB 2.0 connection -- it won't be as fast as drives with eSATA and FireWire 800 connections.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive provides 1TB of storage in a stylish enclosure. It has a faceplate with a touch-sensitive area for launching backup software, and it provides good read speeds for a USB 2.0 external hard drive.
The striking enclosure of this external hard drive is thanks to French designer Philippe Starck, who is renowned for rocket-shaped juicers, among other things. An LED displays the designer's signature cross-shaped logo on the desk in front of the drive.
The Starck Desktop Hard Drive enclosure is made from 3mm-thick aluminium, making the drive extremely durable. A small section of the aluminium, mirrored front fascia is touch sensitive and can initiate one of two actions depending on how long you press it. The touch-sensitive area is indicated by a removable “Touch Here” sticker (the cross-shaped LED also changes from orange to green when the area is pressed). We would have preferred it if the whole fascia was touch-sensitive.
A set-up assistant launches when you first connect the drive to a computer, allowing you to choose a file system that is compatible with Mac OS X or Windows. You can also configure a second, 32GB FAT32 partition that will be compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux PCs. Once configured, the external hard drive offers software and manuals suited to the chosen operating system.
Mac users get the basic version of Intego Backup Assistant, which provides a very simple drag-and-drop interface for backing up and synchronising data. However, you can only synchronise one source at a time, and features like virus scans and the ability to run third-party applications automatically are reserved for the US$39.96 Pro version. Mac users may want to opt for Mac OS X's own Time Machine software instead.
Windows users get a lite version of Genie-Soft's Backup Assistant, which is significantly better than the Mac software. You can easily select multiple sources, folders and whole user profiles to back up to both local and networked locations, and employ AES encryption and file compression. The full version is available for US$35 and allows you to back up data to CDs, FTP servers and to Genie-Soft's cloud storage platform.
We tested the Starck Desktop Hard Drive by transferring files between it and a PC equipped with a 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive. The first test involved 20GB of 3-4GB files while for the second we used 3GB of 1MB files.
|Small File (3GB) Transfer Test Results|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||28.8||17.1||10.5|
|LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive||$139||320GB||24.5||17.1||11.1|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||25||25||10.2|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||23.4||15||10.7|
|Large File (20GB) Transfer Test Results|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||30.3||25.7||12.7|
|LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive||$139||320GB||27.4||25.9||12.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||27.9||26.4||11.7|
|Maxtor [[Artnid:296805|OneTouch 4 Plus|Review: Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus externsal hard drive||$349||750GB||28.58||25.47||N/A|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||26.7||25.1||12.7|
In both tests, LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive managed higher read speeds than other drives, and it matches the others when it comes to writing data and performing simultaneous read/write operations. For a USB 2.0 external hard drive, these speeds are adequate.
LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive is a great choice for style-conscious consumers, though a drive with an eSATA or FireWire 800 connection would achieve faster transfer speeds. The touch-sensitive application launcher isn't much more than a gimmick, but the hard drive's durable enclosure and neat footprint make it appealing.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- FCC rolls back net neutrality ISP transparency rules
- Microsoft revives free Windows 10 upgrade for SMBs
- Microsoft restores database app to Office 365 for small biz
- Hands-on: Microsoft Teams brings the best and worst of Office to team-building
- Gartner: A.I. to become a top business investment priority
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTLead PMONSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD