LaCie Ethernet Disk
- Good performance, quick setup
- No USB 2.0 connectivity (only 1.1), documentation
This large-capacity, easy-to-use drive is expandable and fairly fast. We had only small quibbles with it.
Price$ 1,399.00 (AUD)
LaCie's Ethernet Disk is a heavy, rack-mounted NAS device designed for small to medium-size offices. Though it's available in capacities of up to 800GB (our test model had 160GB), and its design is suited more to a server room than a home office, this device was not difficult to use. As befits an office-oriented drive, the LaCie exhibited very good performance in our speed tests, particularly when it came to writing large files.
The Ethernet Disk is expandable, with one FireWire and two USB 1.1 ports. USB 1.1 isn't a fast enough bus to keep up with large volumes of data, and is therefore less efficient than FireWire for most data-transfer purposes. As a result, FireWire is the better option for connecting another drive for backup or extra storage.
For setup, LaCie's Network Configurator tool was easy to use; however, the PDF documentation--while clear and well written--was outdated, failing to cover about a year's worth of major revisions to the configuration software and listing features incorrectly. For example, the manual referenced a print server that is no longer a feature of the Ethernet Disk.
Another area where the manual proved out-of-date was the section on permission configuration for the four types of shared folders: Windows, AppleShare, HTTP and FTP. The documentation stated that you can set permissions only for Windows folders, and that other types of folders would be unprotected, when in fact you can now set permissions for all four folder types.
The HTTP and FTP folder types allow you to share data over the Web with remote users. You can upload and download files to both folder types, although HTTP is more suitable for read-only data.
An easy-to-use wizard walks you through creating public shared folders, but you'll need to enter the browser-based utility's Advanced mode to create password-protected shared folders.
One missing weapon in the LaCie's arsenal is client backup software. Since you can map shared folders to a drive letter, however, the Ethernet Disk is compatible with your choice of standard backup software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Samsung releases world's first 2TB consumer SSDs
- SanDisk pushes MicroSD to 200GB
- Samsung jumps into external SSD market
- Steve Wozniak just wants to build things
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW