LaCie 2big network
- Metal design keeps noise down, simple software, low cost.
- Quite slow, poor Web interface, no RAID 0 mode.
The 2big network's main flaw is that it was far slower than other drives we've looked at. Even considering the low price, and that some of these drives had three or four drives to the 2big's two, its performance was poor.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Encased in dull grey metal like much of LaCie's line of larger hard-drive systems, the 2big network — a network-attached storage device — would sit well next one of Apple's pro-level Macs. However, on its own it looks a little like an air-conditioning unit or heater.
The one giveaway of its computing purpose is the big blue HAL-style inset dome on its front. The ribbed metal sides help to dissipate heat, so the 2big can run its fan slower — producing less noise. The two drives inside are removable via two drive trays at the back of the unit.
The Web interface is basic and doesn't make it easy for you to find what you're looking for. The bundled Ethernet Agent offers easier control, but runs as an always-on System Tray application.
Changing between Safe 100 and Big modes (RAID 1 and JBOD) was faster than other systems, but the lack of a RAID 0 option will put off users looking for a fast unit for project sharing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCAzure DeveloperNSW
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- CCSr. Business Analyst - ServicePLUSVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- FTSharepoint DeveloperACT
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCInstructional DesignerQLD
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW