First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
LaCie 2big network
- Metal design keeps noise down, simple software, low cost.
- Quite slow, poor Web interface, no RAID 0 mode.
The 2big network's main flaw is that it was far slower than other drives we've looked at. Even considering the low price, and that some of these drives had three or four drives to the 2big's two, its performance was poor.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 9 stores)
Encased in dull grey metal like much of LaCie's line of larger hard-drive systems, the 2big network — a network-attached storage device — would sit well next one of Apple's pro-level Macs. However, on its own it looks a little like an air-conditioning unit or heater.
The one giveaway of its computing purpose is the big blue HAL-style inset dome on its front. The ribbed metal sides help to dissipate heat, so the 2big can run its fan slower — producing less noise. The two drives inside are removable via two drive trays at the back of the unit.
The Web interface is basic and doesn't make it easy for you to find what you're looking for. The bundled Ethernet Agent offers easier control, but runs as an always-on System Tray application.
Changing between Safe 100 and Big modes (RAID 1 and JBOD) was faster than other systems, but the lack of a RAID 0 option will put off users looking for a fast unit for project sharing.
Latest News Articles
- EU, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo meet on 'right to be forgotten' but questions remain
- The Pirate Bay makes searching for torrents easier on mobile devices
- Apple faces privacy suit following Chinese TV report
- New guide aims to remove the drama of reporting software flaws
- Yamaha TSX-B232 desktop stereo review
Most Popular Articles
- 1 What does an NBN connection look like in a new home?
- 2 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 3 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 4 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 5 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Notebooks View all »
- 21% off $549.95
- $62 free shipping
- Tablets View all »
- Mobile Phones View all »
- TVs View all »
- Digital Cameras View all »