Konica Minolta magicolor 2530DL
- PictBridge port, Low costs per page
- Low capacity toner cartridges in box
The Konica Minolta Magicolor 2530DL is an economical choice for printing text and photos, if space and convenience are more important to you than print quality. It will appeal especially to professionals in need of quick, tolerable-quality photo prints from a digital camera.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Konica Minolta 2530DL is a compact colour laser with built-in networking features. It offers a few new improvements over its predecessor, the 2430DL, including increased memory and lower accessory costs.
The 2530DL doubles the internal memory to 64MB, which enabled us to print high-resolution photos successfully from a digital camera attached to the printer's front-mounted PictBridge port. Without an expensive memory upgrade, however, the 2430DL could print only in draft mode.
Like all GDI-based printers, the 2530DL depends on your PC to render its pages. Konica Minolta provides a driver that lets the 2530DL work with Macs as well as with Windows PCs. The simple control panel includes a two-line LCD that simplifies the task of entering setup parameters, such as the image quality and image size to use when printing from the PictBridge port.
The single paper tray holds 200 sheets of paper or 10 envelopes. You can add an optional 500-sheet paper tray for and an optional duplexer for an additional cost. At 17.3 pages per minute, the 2530DL's text printing speed lags behind most other budget-priced colour lasers we've tested recently, but its 2.6-ppm speed for plain-paper graphics and 2.0-ppm speed for glossy photos are closer to average.
In our tests, the 2530DL produced heavy-looking but well-formed text characters with crisp edges. Line art was quite dark, too, with some minor horizontal banding. Our greyscale print had a yellow-brown tint and overly dark shadows. On plain paper, our colour samples showed plenty of detail in the darkest areas but had inaccurate colours. At the 2530DL's highest quality setting, photos printed on glossy paper exhibited good contrast and shadow detail, but off colours and grainy dithering patterns.
The printer comes with toner cartridges rated to last for just 1500 pages each. High-capacity replacement cartridges rated for 4500 pages are also available. You can save a little extra by purchasing a bundle of all three colour cartridges. Overall it's quite reasonable for a budget-priced printer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
- This 3D printer can rival standard manufacturing on the factory floor
- HP's new printers move the paper not the ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical/Team Lead - .NetNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- FTSystem testersACT
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCInfra Project Manager-Data Center, Cloud, Storage, NetworkNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCInstructional DesignerQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW