Kogan PRO26 LCD television
This 26in LCD TV has an inbuilt DVD player, a USB input and decent image quality
- Integrated multimedia playback, decent contrast ratio
- No 100Hz mode, low overall contrast ratio
The Kogan PRO26 is an LCD television designed for a bedroom or study where space is at a premium. It's a good unit for casual television watching but its picture quality won't suit Blu-ray video or high-definition movies.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The Kogan PRO26 is a 26in LCD television with an integrated DVD player and a port for connecting USB drives. If you have an extensive DVD collection or lots of downloaded media files and don't want to buy a media streamer, an all-in-one television like this is a good option. It has adequate picture quality for broadcast television and compressed video, but if you're looking for a high quality screen this is probably not your best option.
Like the rest of the Kogan television range, the Kogan PRO26 looks a bit bland and uninspiring. The rounded, glossy black bezel is not ugly but certainly isn't anything special or unique. The television's inputs are arranged along the rear — users have access to two HDMI and two composite video connectors as well as single component, VGA and S-Video for older devices.
The Kogan PRO26's screen has a resolution of 1366x768, which sits between the 720p and 1080p high-definition standards. It's well suited for devices that can output a picture at exactly this resolution — a laptop computer or Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite, for example. Content with a different resolution will go through a scaling process and can lose some sharpness and clarity.
Picture quality is acceptable given the price, but don't think you'll be blown away. A contrast ratio of 2500:1 is good for broadcast television and regular DVD watching — we didn't notice any horrendous loss of detail in our The Matrix test DVD — but when we paired the screen up with a Sony PlayStation 3 we did notice an overall lack of contrast and dark image detail in The Dark Knight.
The Kogan PRO26's multimedia features are what set it apart from other screens of this size, and thankfully they're well implemented. The integrated DVD player works quickly and isn't loud when operating, and while the USB port can only play a small range of formats (JPEG, WMA, MPEG1/2/4, MP3, DivX) it makes this TV even more useful.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW