Kogan PRO26 LCD television
This 26in LCD TV has an inbuilt DVD player, a USB input and decent image quality
- Integrated multimedia playback, decent contrast ratio
- No 100Hz mode, low overall contrast ratio
The Kogan PRO26 is an LCD television designed for a bedroom or study where space is at a premium. It's a good unit for casual television watching but its picture quality won't suit Blu-ray video or high-definition movies.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 2 stores)
The Kogan PRO26 is a 26in LCD television with an integrated DVD player and a port for connecting USB drives. If you have an extensive DVD collection or lots of downloaded media files and don't want to buy a media streamer, an all-in-one television like this is a good option. It has adequate picture quality for broadcast television and compressed video, but if you're looking for a high quality screen this is probably not your best option.
Like the rest of the Kogan television range, the Kogan PRO26 looks a bit bland and uninspiring. The rounded, glossy black bezel is not ugly but certainly isn't anything special or unique. The television's inputs are arranged along the rear — users have access to two HDMI and two composite video connectors as well as single component, VGA and S-Video for older devices.
The Kogan PRO26's screen has a resolution of 1366x768, which sits between the 720p and 1080p high-definition standards. It's well suited for devices that can output a picture at exactly this resolution — a laptop computer or Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite, for example. Content with a different resolution will go through a scaling process and can lose some sharpness and clarity.
Picture quality is acceptable given the price, but don't think you'll be blown away. A contrast ratio of 2500:1 is good for broadcast television and regular DVD watching — we didn't notice any horrendous loss of detail in our The Matrix test DVD — but when we paired the screen up with a Sony PlayStation 3 we did notice an overall lack of contrast and dark image detail in The Dark Knight.
The Kogan PRO26's multimedia features are what set it apart from other screens of this size, and thankfully they're well implemented. The integrated DVD player works quickly and isn't loud when operating, and while the USB port can only play a small range of formats (JPEG, WMA, MPEG1/2/4, MP3, DivX) it makes this TV even more useful.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Bose QuietComfort 25 review: A traveller's companion
- 5 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- FCC eyes new rules to protect consumers as voice networks transition to IP
- Startup Slack gets $120M infusion to kill email at work
- Oracle's Larry Ellison isn't done building his legacy
- Ericsson's WebRTC browser available for download from the App Store
- HP to jolt 3D printer market
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW