Kogan PRO-22 LCD television
This 22in HDTV has a Full HD resolution and an integrated DVD player
- Integrated DVD player, nice picture, clear sound
- Not quite there in terms of colour, imperfect scaling
The Kogan PRO-22 won’t give you the full home theatre experience, but for those wanting to experience high-definition movies and games without a huge screen or a huge price, it's worth a look.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The Kogan PRO-22 is a high-definition, 22in LCD television with a built-in DVD player, USB and SD/MMC/MS card support and an acceptable HDTV tuner.
The unit is all black, with the main control buttons (power, source, menu, channel/volume) situated along the top — leaving the front bezel looking clean and neat. The sales package includes a remote control.
The Kogan PRO-22 has two HDMI ports, S-Video, component and composite connections as well as VGA and audio input.
The TV's menu includes standard picture adjustment options, such as brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness. The sound options include area presets such as concert, living room, bathroom and arena, which all sound pretty good at low to moderate volumes, although at high volume levels things start to sound a little hollow. There is also a password setting for parents and a sleep option.
We plugged the Kogan PRO-22 into both a PlayStation 3 and an Xbox-360 HD-DVD player and found the picture quality to be quite impressive. The PRO-22's native resolution is 1920x1080, so the screen is well suited to high-definition content like Blu-ray video. With a static contrast ratio of 800:1, colour isn't as vivid as it is on more expensive TVs — but this can be forgiven given the extremely low price tag.
Image sharpness when viewing 1080p content was acceptable — with such a small screen size, it's hard to see fine details. The screen struggles when scaling video that's not at its native resolution; we fed it some downloaded video footage and noticed a significant lack of detail compared to what we've seen on more expensive 22in units like the Teac LCD228HDM and the Sony Bravia KDL22S5700. DVD quality footage fares better but again it isn't perfect — the screen's scaling engine is simply inferior to other offerings.
If you're looking for a small, versatile and, most importantly, cheap second screen for casual movie watching or game playing, Kogan's PRO-22 22in LCD television is a good choice.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
- NHK's latest 8K display is large, thin and beautiful
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Improvement and Change ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTGuidewire Developer - Billing's focusSA
- TPSenior Test Analyst - Data ReconciliationQLD
- CCUnix Developers - multipleACT
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTDevOps/L2 Support EngineerVIC
- FTSupport EngineerNSW
- FTProject ManagerOther
- TPPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerWA
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Platform DeveloperNSW
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTJunior Data Centre Support Technician - Sydney CBDACT
- FTSenior Financial Planner - GeelongVIC
- FTCitrix AdministratorNSW
- CCCloud Automation Engineer. Work Location - CanberraACT
- FTSoftware Sales & BDMNSW
- CCPMO Lead/ ManagerACT